Amanda's Reviews > 1Q84

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

Mar 06, 12

bookshelves: adult, for-thinkers, will-check-out-more-from-author
Read from December 28, 2011 to March 06, 2012

What can I say about this book? There is no easy way to describe it other than... wordy. Yes, thank you Captian Obvious, a book is going to be wordy. But this book, this COMBO of 3 books put into one huge BOOK is wordy. There is so much in this book, so much detail, that you didn't know other books were missing the wordiness until you read this. Never mind this being 3 books to make 1 large story. There are books inside of those books! It's like the hole that Alice fell into Wonderland, only it's books that make the walls (although in the cartoon version of that book, I'm sure there were books in that hole as well)

I easily fell into reading this book, it is very easily written, the words (here we go again) just flowing into constructive thoughts. As soon as you start reading it, you've agreed to travel on this train and you have no idea where the destination is, but you go along with the ride.

I am glad I didn't read reviews on this book, or really any of the description, because whatever they would have told me would not have helped me.

My favorite part of the book would have to be the cat town part, even though the part with Tengo's father was one of my least favorite parts.

I don't want share anything about this book other than, I wish more people knew about it. The only reason I rated it a 4 star is because once I hit the 80% mark on my kindle, I started to get into other books and never felt the urge to come back to this. Once I did, after all the drawn out detail of EVERYTHING, the ending slams into you, like the train ran into a brick wall. You have no idea what happens with the other world or the people in it. I guess that's for a whole different story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1Q84.

Quotes Amanda Liked

Haruki Murakami
“That's what the world is , after all: an endless battle of contrasting memories.”

Haruki Murakami
“If you can love someone with your whole heart, even one person, then there's salvation in life. Even if you can't get together with that person.”

Haruki Murakami
“You can keep as quiet as you like, but one of these days somebody is going to find you.”

12/28/2011
1.0% "928 pages... lets see how long this takes; it's good so far."
12/29/2011
3.0% ""Aomame could not help feeling sorry for the plant. If she were ever reincarnated, let her not be reborn as such a miserable plant!""
12/30/2011
9.0% "She always spoke softly. Her voice was easily drowned out by a slight gust of wind. People had to pay attention to what she was saying. Aomame often felt the urge to reach over and turn up the volume - if only there were a knob!"
01/01/2012
12.0% "Either I'm funny or the world's funny. I don't know which. The bottle and lid don't fit. It could be the bottle's fault or the lid's fault. In either case, there's no denying that the fit is bad."
01/03/2012
20.0% "What did it mean for a person to be free? she would often ask herself. Even if you managed to escape from one cage, weren't you just in another, larger one?"
01/05/2012
31.0% "He spent his day feeling uneasy & muddled, like someone who has mistakenly swallowed a thick swatch of cloud."
01/05/2012
33.0% "This is where book 2 is."
01/11/2012
61.0% "He literally stirred my mind & body the way a spoon stirs a cup of cocoa, down to the depths of my internal organs & my womb."
01/13/2012
70.0% "The world is sure full of creepy guys, he mused, knowing full well that, objectively speaking, this category would include himself. He had secretly nicknamed the man Bat."
01/16/2012
75.0% "She was like an oyster stuck on a rock. It can't easily be pried open."
03/05/2012
96.0% "Slowly but surely reading this through to the end."
show 3 hidden updates…