Brahadeesh's Reviews > The Egyptian

The Egyptian by Mika Waltari

Jan 11, 12

Read from December 13, 2011 to January 11, 2012

One of the best historic novels I have read so far. Simple yet profound illustration of the religious and political conflicts during the Pharoah Akhenaton's reign, founder of one of the earliest monotheistic religion. The story revolves around the travels and expeditions of a Egyptian physician named Sinuhe and the socio-political scenario of the countries he visits during his life. The journey of this physician is so eventful with cruelty of humans, fragility and wickedness of human mind, love etc.

Beside the lively illustration of the socio-political scenario of Egypt and Syria 3500 years ago, there is a touch of pessimism although I personally liked it. And there are some discrepancies in some historical facts. As far as I know Horemheb was childless but he is begets a child according to this novel.

I guess there are some issues with the translation from Finnish to English, many times the author speaks about corn cultivation and corn reserves etc. Corn was never grown in Egypt, at least I know that much for sure.

Casting one or two translation errors away and little twist in historical fact, I would say the book is well written and is a best bet for people who would like to read historical novels during their leisure time. I read the translated version of 'The Egyptian' by Naomi Walford.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Egyptian.

message 1: by Tytti (new)

Tytti I believe it was translated first to Swedish and from that translation to English. The English edition is also abridged.