Robert Brown's Reviews > Mein Kampf

Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler

May 02, 12

Funny story: I was embarrassed to check this out of the library, but I'm writing a lesson plan for a teacher I TA for and I needed this book to do it. Well, I was really busy, and I actually forgot to go to the desk and have them check me out so when I left the library, the alarm rang and I had to show them what was in my bag . . . . How embarrassing.

Anyhow, the book's probably as creepy and disturbing as you would imagine it to be. It's haunting how often he tries to give himself and his ideas credibility. He introduces himself as a moderate who came to his positions by experience and logic. It's scary to think that these ideas became so important to so many people for so long.

Disturbing quote: "A folkish state must therefore begin by raising marriage from the level of a continuous defilement of the race, and give it the consecration of an institution which is called upon to produce images of the Lord and not monstrosities halfway between man and ape"(402).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mein Kampf.

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori To the first part: HAHAHA! To the second: I was just as disturbed when I read excerpts of the book for my Holocaust Literature class. My students never really grasped how demented he was until I read them some his quotes.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna Hahaha that would be so my luck.