J's Reviews > You Better Not Cry: Stories for Christmas

You Better Not Cry by Augusten Burroughs

3191101
Dec 12, 11

When did Christmas become "the holiday you love to hate and hate to love" as described in the book jacket?!

Hating Christmas is akin to hating Shirley Temple and Easter bunnies. I've been searching for festive holiday reading material and have stumbled into a patch of snarky & cycnical books on the 'darkside' of the holidays. I get frustrated and stressed during the holidays too, but I'm shocked that anyone would take the time to write (or read) a negative book about the holidays. I don't enjoy these types of books. They seemed aimed at tearing down Christmas. Not cool.

In this book, the red font was attractive and the grammer/language was easy to read, but the message was confused and mainly negative. It was like listening to an ex-stoner try to recall childhood memories. The stories seemed really random. And if half of the stories are true, the author needs serious mental help. It wasn't funny to me, it was scary and boring. Disturbing is an apt description.

I stopped reading when the author described waking up after a homosexual encounter with an old man who looked like Santa Claus. Not what I'm looking for in a feel-good holiday novel.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Better Not Cry.