Hollins's Reviews > Story Engineering: Character Development, Story Concept, Scene Construction

Story Engineering by Larry Brooks

Dec 27, 11

bookshelves: type-non-fiction, type-reference, type-writing
Recommended for: writers, aspiring writers
Read from December 16 to 27, 2011, read count: 1

Read this through Amazon Kindle's Lending Library and I'm so glad I did. I've been looking for a book on writing, but I've been hesitant to buy one because I wasn't sure which one would help me the most. I got to rent this one for free, but I would have gladly paid the eBook price to buy it.

In the past I've been an 'outliner' but even my outlining was a bit 'pantsy' (a 'seat of the pants' writer) because I've often struggled with story structure. I didn't even realize I was struggling with story structure, but I did know that even as I was outlining, I often wasn't sure what to put next.

That's why this book has been such a godsend to me because it explained how all commercial books fit into a basic schema, and now that I know it, I know my outlines are going to be much smoother and I will never again realize halfway through a (outlined) draft that I need to change directions for *one little thing* that will inevitably require oodles of re-tweaking for the earlier chapters. The other 5 "Core Competencies" are things I subconsciously understood prior to reading the book, but now I understand them on a much deeper and more tangible level.

I'm really grateful I read this book. It's already made my writing process so much more enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Story Engineering.