Melissa's Reviews > The Red Tent

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Jul 18, 08

bookshelves: bookclub
Recommended to Melissa by: Brandee Oakley
Recommended for: adult women who can think of it as a novel and nothing more
Read in July, 2008

Since book club is over, I'll review this book. The Red Tent is one of my favorite books. Two things I would recommend for anyone considering reading this book: 1) don’t read up on the bible story until after finishing the novel; 2) If you know the bible story well, read this novel as that, just a novel of fiction relating nothing to the bible story. I have spoilers in this review, so continue reading with caution! I didn’t give it five stars because it’s a little too controversial and I was disappointed with the ending of Rachel, Leah, Zilpah, & Bilhah’s characters, but everything else I absolutely absorbed and loved. The characters in the book were so well developed and loved. I loved the relationship between Dinah and her first husband; her relationship with her second husband was wonderful too. I loved the relationship of the women/mothers of Dinah. I enjoyed seeing their individual talents displayed and accented. The midwife chapters in this book were gripping for me and brought a heroic aspect to the women’s characters. The reintroduction of the slave known as Rebecca’s favorite slave (can’t remember her name) was so powerful for me. I loved that part. There was so much to enjoy in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Tent.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rachelle I loved the book too. I didn't want to read your review until I had finished the book, it was just so powerful and great..I was a little disappointed in Rebeccas character, however. Now I want to read Orson Scott Card's book Rebecaa, and see how he protrays her.. He also has one called Racheal that I would like to read. I read Sarah by him and loved it..

message 2: by Melissa (last edited Feb 17, 2009 01:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa Ooh both those books sound wonderful. So glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. It was a great read.