Anila's Reviews > One Piece, Volume 01: Romance Dawn

One Piece, Volume 01 by Eiichiro Oda

Dec 12, 11

bookshelves: reviewed, pretty-pictures
Read in December, 2011

This has got to be the ugliest manga art I've ever seen. Sorry, but it's true. I really, really, really don't like this style and I knew that going in because I've seen caps from the anime. It's over the top and unpleasant and cluttered and sort of makes my eyes ache to look at it.

and yet
there is something about the story. Don't ask me what, but there's something. It's not totally bad. It's absurd and banal at worst, silly at best, but I guess it has potential. I could do without the cheesy yelling-names-of-fighting-moves thing (seriously, why is this a thing in anime and manga. It just makes the characters sound stupid) and I'm not crazy about the writing quality, but I'd pick up another volume. I guess. Maybe.
We'll see.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Piece, Volume 01.

message 1: by P. (new)

P. I could do without the cheesy yelling-names-of-fighting-moves thing (seriously, why is this a thing in anime and manga. It just makes the characters sound stupid

That is true, and I so agree.

message 2: by Maya (new)

Maya actually, a lot of people find the "yelling-names-of-fighting-moves thing" very cool, especially teenagers (the main audience of this series).

The art, yep, it's not very beautiful (the characters at least), but as so often ... you get used to it ^^;

I read like 14 volumes of the series until now, and well. it's just a lot of fun and it keeps getting better.
One Piece is currently by far the best selling manga series in Japan, so that alone makes it worth reading, for general knowledge, to see what it's all about.

Anila But... why? I don't get why anyone would find it cool. It doesn't make sense.

I'm glad to hear that it keeps getting better; if so, I may make it more of a priority as I read more. To be honest, popularity isn't much of a factor for me in reading a series. There are a lot of things that I avoid for that very reason (not to sound too much like a hipster, but...) because they're too big, too popular, too much.

message 4: by P. (new)

P. *will wait and see what Anila thinks of the rest before she decides to read it*

Anila Pal will be waiting a long time, then. GO read more Homestuck in the meantime.

message 6: by P. (new)

P. Anila wrote: "Pal will be waiting a long time, then. GO read more Homestuck in the meantime."

Be patient with meeee. That intermission is so boring that I actually prefer studying for exams over it. I'll get to it someday...

Anila Okay, okay, okay.
if it helps, we're all stuck in the first A6 intermission right now and it is not nearly as boring
so intermissions do not always equal slow as molasses in January.
though the one you're on definitely is.
but this one is full of beta!kids and goodness and I really quite like it.

message 8: by P. (new)

P. :[

So... you get to read good parts and I get to read boring parts.

Anila LATER.
Ask Mello - she started really liking it a lot sooner than I did, so she'll give you more hope than I will.

message 10: by P. (new)

P. *cries*

Anila *pats shoulder*

cuties for encouragement?
(view spoiler)

message 12: by P. (new)

P. Anila dear, that kinda makes it worse.

HOW COME I DON'T SEE THOSE CUTIES? Instead I get ugly little creatures playing cards and shooting their intestines out...

But don't mind me. I'll just go back to it when I'm procrastinating - I mean, when I uh, finish ALL my work, and have nothing better to do.

Anila I tryyyyyy to heeeeeeelp. I don't know what else to do. Though there is some nice Snowman fanart...

If you don't want to continue, though, you can stop. I totally understand.

message 14: by P. (last edited Dec 12, 2011 09:09PM) (new)

P. I don't like quitting. Not when everyone keeps saying that it gets awesome later on. And I really do believe that it does - so I want to read on.

Uh, just not right now.

Anila And that is fine. Take as long as you want, really.

message 16: by P. (new)

P. Hurray!

And I'll wait for your thoughts on the rest of One Piece. Take as looong as you want. I've been avoiding it because of the art too, so I'm not going to pick it until someone convinces me.

Anila I am not sure if I will ever get past the art enough to convince someone else to read it. We'll see, I guess. It's all a big experiment.

message 18: by P. (new)

P. Haha, okay.

message 19: by Maya (last edited Dec 13, 2011 04:48AM) (new)

Maya I see what you mean concerning popularity. Usually I don't care much about it either, but in this case i find it kind of impressive. One Piece is currently outselling every other manga series (and there are a lot of them), this year it sold more than 6 times the amount of the second best-selling series. It doesn't happen that often that a series gets this popular and really makes me curious what it's all about. So once I find the time I'll resume the series (luckily it doesn't take all that much time to read one volume) ^^

Anila Okay, I just googled 'one piece latest chapter' and the numbers are in the 600s.

TO which my reaction is: well, obviously it's outselling everything else; it has more to sell. Bleach is only in the 400s and Naruto in the 500s.

Sheer length is actually another thing that discourages me from picking up a series, because while it's possible for an author to pull of a hugely long story, a lot of them dissolve into filler and unnecessary stuff. I'd prefer a much tighter storyline (FMA being a perfect example) and a shorter - and thereby less popular because it stops - series.

message 21: by Maya (new)

Maya I'm not sure the length is the reason, especially not with that much of a difference in sales. Shorter series can definitely sell more than longer ones (Bleach sold less than many shorter series and Detective Conan, which is even longer than One Piece barely made it into top 20).

And you are so right about authors and long stories. In case of One Piece you probably don't have to worry about it though. Afaik it doesn't really have fillers (didn't have any up to where I read for sure) and the author knew from the beginning where he was going with his story (i.e. he already knows how it will end). Different from f.ex. Bleach, which I dropped, because you can somehow tell the author is just trying to stretch it any way he can and seems to be making up the story "on the way".

Well, anyway, I'll be looking forward to your reviews if you decide to continue the series ^^ As said, imho it's a fun adventure story and the next volumes will have some background stories of the characters.