Mack's Reviews > Cold Mountain

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

Jan 26, 2012

bookshelves: ap-englsih, kick-ass, baltz-library, historical
Read from December 12, 2011 to January 23, 2012

Cold Mountain was absolutely beautiful. Charles Frazier has written a masterpiece that captures the country of America in all its beauty and its corruption.

Cold Mountain follows a war-ravaged Confederate soldier named W.P. Inman. While recovering from a wound everyone thought was fatal, Inman makes the decision to desert his regiment and travel to Cold Mountain in pursuit of Ada Monroe, the woman he loves. Along the way, he encounters many challenges, especially from the Home Guard, who are tasked with finding deserters and Federal sympathizers.

Ada Monroe is a city-bred woman, brought up by her father in Charleston and now living in Black Cove. Her father dies, and she is left with a farm in a horrible state of disrepair. A stranger by the name of Ruby comes along and assists Ada in managing the farm.

This book was like reading The Odyssey, only in America. Inman's epic journey back to Cold Mountain is full of trials and obstacles to overcome. The war has taken its toll on Inman, and he usually resorts to violence when confronted with his various situations. He does so with his trademark LeMat's, a pistol with an underbarrel shotgun. Inman's long service in the war has left him lost and void of purpose. He didn't support the war and killed for a purpose he didn't believe in.

Inman's perilous journey home can be seen as an acension of some sort. His neck wound is the symbol of his inner turmoil. As he travels, his wound heals with varying degree, based on his current situation.

When Inman finally reached his destination at the Cherokee village on Cold Mountain with Ada, he had achieved redemption. There, with Ada, he was able to transcend the corruption and evil of war. After four long years of war and fighting, he longed for the soft touch of someone who cares. In a way, Ada, his true love, was his separate peace.

However, when they traveled back to the farm, Inman was forced to leave his peace behind. He was ambushed by a young member of the Home Guard, and was killed. Although I read this part and wanted to throw the book across the room, find Mr. Frazier and proceed to slam his head into a car door, I contemplated Inman's death. How could a man so war-torn and spiritually damaged possible be happy again? How could one live a life of peace when all they know is war and death? I realized that Inman's death was his TRUE ascension. His separate peace was in another life, and a part of him lived on through he and Ada's daughter.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Mountain.

01/04/2012 page 69
show 6 hidden updates…

Amanda Although I have to wonder if I'm being punked here . . . :) Don't tell me if I am. Just let me relish it.

message 2: by Mack (last edited Jan 26, 2012 06:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mack Oh no, it's all real. ;)

Amanda Now that, sir, is a review that warms the cockles of my book-lovin' heart.