Lisa Kay's Reviews > Mine to Possess

Mine to Possess by Nalini Singh

Napa Valley, California
[image error]

★★★★☆ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Sometimes I think listeners of audiobooks have a distinct advantage over readers of hardcopy. If they are well narrated and well directed, as this one is, they can bring to life what the author intended, as tone, inflection, and reaction between characters and how they dialogue is so vital. Such is the case in the fourth installment of Ms. Singh’s Psy-changeling series, which is read by Angela Dawe. She does an awesome job on this one and it is no surprise she is a finalist this year for her narration in another audiobook (The Watch That Ends the Night: Voices from the Titanic) by the Audio Publishers Association’s: the prestigious Audiobook of the Year and Distinguished Achievement in Production Award.

description

In Mine to Possess Clay and Talin have a quite a past. He killed for her; she vomits at the mere thought of violence. He is violence personified; she faked her death to avoid him. Several readers are not too fond of Talin, the heroine in Mine to Possess, and think she owed Clay a little more groveling time. Be aware, I tend to sympathize with my heroines more than other readers, so I found my heart breaking over Talin’s abusive past. For me, these are two equally tortured individuals who separate and come together again through violence. I like seeing Clay and Talin recalling their former childhood relationship, while warily getting to know each other as adults. That said, I must admit that by more than half way through I was ready to jump into the pages of this one and straighten these two protagonists out. Enough flip-flopping, suspicion, and self-doubt already!

Still, Ms. Singh is an excellent writer. I love the way she can turn a phrase to make me gasp, hold my breath, cringe, laugh, and sigh. She knows her characters and lets us get to know them. Others individuals – from past and future books – are presented seamlessly into the storyline, not just thrown in to appease fans. You want to know what makes her wicked evildoers tick and her ferocious heroes protect. Her world building is convincing, intriguing, and – more important – consistent. Her sensual scenes have a palpable chemistry that is there because she sets up her characters so perfectly. Plus, she is great at creating a sense of foreboding; while each installment in this series gives us a little satisfaction, it dishes out a little more dark mystery that is an integral part of her magical Psy-Changeling World.

Psy-Changeling Audiobook Covers
Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh Visions of Heat by Nalini Singh Caressed by Ice by Nalini Singh Mine to Possess (Psy-Changeling, #4) by Nalini Singh Hostage to Pleasure (Psy-Changeling, #5) by Nalini Singh
description Blaze of Memory (Psy-Changeling, #7) by Nalini Singh Bonds of Justice by Nalini Singh Play of Passion by Nalini Singhdescription

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mine to Possess.

Quotes Lisa Kay Liked

Nalini Singh
“Clay, if anyone followed anyone, it was me tagging along after you. I didn’t dare order you around.”

“Load of shit,” he muttered, but she thought she heard a softening in his tone. “You fucking made me attend tea parties.”

She remembered his threat before the first one: “Tell anyone and I’ll eat you and use your bones as toothpicks.”

~ Talin and Clay dialogue”

Nalini Singh
“Some wounds should be healed, no matter how much time has passed or how much time is left.”

Nalini Singh
“He leaned down until his lips brushed her ear. “I told you to stop flinching.” And then he bit her. A slow, painless nip but there were definitely teeth involved.”

Nalini Singh
“Remember that,” he groaned. “And tell everyone you know.”

Nalini Singh
“I love you,” she whispered.

He stroked his hand down her back. “Yep, you do.”

“You’re supposed to say it back,” she said, pretending to be offended because the silliness kept the fear/hope at bay.

“Why?” He scowled down at her. “You know you’re my heartbeat.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Great review, Lisa Kay! Nalini Singh created a credible emotionally scarred heroine. Talon had unresolved issues that she could only work through with Clay. Some readers struggled with her, but I really liked Tally and Clay together. Loved the bond they shared since childhood. It was sweet, especially the tea party memory.

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly LisaKay,

Karla You always write such a beautiful review Lisa Kay, with fabulous pics!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter As always, beautiful pic and great review, Lisa Kay!

Lisa Kay Anna wrote: "Loved the bond they shared since childhood. It was sweet, especially the tea party memory."

Thanks, Anna! And, yes, that was one of my favorite of their recollections.

Lisa Kay Kelly wrote: "LisaKay,
Great review. I've never read any of her books but hear great things. Where should I start?"

I'm enjoying her Psy-changeling series, Kelly. I'd start at the beginning with Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling #1) by Nalini Singh! Let me know what you think.

Lisa Kay Thanks, Karla! Love yours too.

Lisa Kay Thanks, Baba!

message 9: by Karla (new)

Karla I've never read a series like these, but these do look interesting. Do these need to be read in order?

Lisa Kay Karla wrote: "I've never read a series like these, but these do look interesting. Do these need to be read in order?"

Sorry, just seeing this, Karla. Yes, definitely in order.