Gaijinmama's Reviews > Cunt: A Declaration of Independence

Cunt by Inga Muscio

May 19, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction
Recommended to Gaijinmama by: Bust magazine, ages ago!
Recommended for: all women and those who seek to understand them
Read in June, 2008

I can't even type the title because I don't want this review or my blog to be labeled as Adult. Suffice it to say, it's a four-letter word, beginning with C, referring to a body part belonging to half the human race. Interesting, ain't it, that a body part is just about the most offensive word in the English language?
I even got yelled at for mentioning the book in public...oh well, guess I shouldn't have brought up the subject in playgroup, LOL! Luckily I live in Japan, so nobody fussed at me when I read it in Starbucks.
But seriously, folks...the V word, which is the medical and socially acceptable term for said Anatomical Jewel, originally meant "a sheath for a sword".
Ask yourselves, my fellow beings with Double X chromosomes....is that how we want to define ourselves? As Muscio would say, I ain't no sheath.

C*** is a comprehensive analysis and meditation upon both the word that offends people so much, and what the author calls "The Anatomical Jewel". It's hard to put down, although sometimes I wanted to--Muscio covers some uncomfortable topics such as abortion, rape, prostitution, and menstruation in graphic detail. Even though I don't agree with her on all topics, she made me think and made me laugh, occasionally grossed me out , and definitely kept my attention. Not least because the author gives a shout-out to the extremely cool Samuel Jackson, yeah it's kind of a 90's reference but I still think he rocks.
Written in a direct, conversational tone, this book made me laugh out loud, get pretty angry a few times, and once or twice come close to tears.
I highly recommend C...but if you plan to read it in public you might want to get or make a book cover for it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cunt.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Powersamurai (new)

Powersamurai This review is so _you_, I wish I could have been a fly on the wall at playgroup. LOL Looking forward to the next time we meet, so you can tell me all about it.

message 2: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee What made you angry? Just curious....

Gaijinmama Lee wrote: "What made you angry? Just curious...."

General anger at the way women are treated in society, and especially at the way women can be just horrid and back-stabbing to each other. I'm paraphrasing from memory but the author points out that in patriarchal societies where women have fewer rights than in the West, women tend to have each others' backs and show a stronger sense of sisterhood.

message 4: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee That's interesting. Thanks, I look forward to reading it.

Gaijinmama Just be careful if you discuss it at playgroup!
I was in deep doggie-doo with some Mommies because I said the title of the book out loud when there were kids in the vicinity.

message 6: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee Yes, I often take books to the park with me. I can just see the commotion this one would cause if the other moms got a glimpse of the title. Hehehehehehe.

message 7: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Wow, and to think I caused a stir when I read Christopher Hitchens' God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything in public (this being Texas which really IS very much like GCB).

I'm not sure I would have picked this up without your review. I probably would have assumed it was using the shock word gratuitously. But now I'm curious. Thanks!

message 8: by Gaijinmama (last edited May 19, 2012 10:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gaijinmama I actually wrote this review three years ago and a few days ago edited it, which is why it's in my feed again. It's one of my better ones. I still recommend the book. But in Texas you might seriously consider getting a nice cover or you'll be thumped by the bible-thumpers. Not that Texas has a monopoly on Fundamentalists, and not that I have anything against Christianity, in fact I use to be Christian myself, but I do have a very big problem with anyone telling me what I am and am not allowed to read!
And yeah, that goes for at playgroup and Starbucks too.