Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com's Reviews > No One is Here Except All of Us

No One is Here Except All of Us by Ramona Ausubel

Dec 12, 2011

bookshelves: 2011
Read from December 12 to 16, 2011

No One is Here Except All of Us by Ramona Ausubel is a fic­tional book tak­ing place dur­ing World War II. The book fol­lows a small group of Jew­ish vil­lagers who lives in a town on a river bank.

In a remote Jew­ish vil­lage, located on a river bank, the war is clos­ing in on them. After thou­sands of years of mov­ing, escap­ing and being expelled sud­denly, in 1939, it seems that there is nowhere to go.

The answer to the village’s dilemma comes from an eleven year old girl and a mys­te­ri­ous stranger – they will rein­vent the world.

No One is Here Except All of Us by Ramona Ausube is a very lyri­cal and poetic book. The story flows, is unique and fas­ci­nat­ing. Most of the time I read the book I felt as if I, or the pro­tag­o­nist, were dream­ing, how­ever, upon read­ing the author’s note it turned out that many of the events are based on what Ms.Ausubel’s great grand­mother expe­ri­enced dur­ing World War II.

The premise of the book is inter­est­ing, some­thing I haven’t read yet. At first it was hard for me to process the story, I’m just too log­i­cal, but the more I read, the eas­ier it go and I started to let go and enjoy the story more and more.

Ms. Ausubel man­aged to cre­ate a world within a world through her char­ac­ters which sucked me into as well. I would almost be tempted to cat­e­go­rize this book under “magic”, but I wouldn’t go as far and nei­ther does the book itself.

With­out giv­ing any­thing away, I was sur­prised by the end­ing, which is not sappy or the manda­tory feel-good type we come to expect. Even if you wouldn’t like the story, you’d love the prose.

For more reviews and bookish posts please visit: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No One is Here Except All of Us.

08/16/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol I had a very difficult time processing the story too!!
A lot of the time, I felt lost.

Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com I think because that the timeline is all skewed (I have a feeling it might not all have been on purpose).