Malissa's Reviews > Planesrunner

Planesrunner by Ian McDonald

Jan 08, 12

Read from January 07 to 08, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this book starting with the cover art. I can't decide if I like it or not and I've stared at it for a long time trying to answer that question. It seems that there is just something off about it. I think in the problem I have with the cover is the same problem I have with the book; there is just a lot going on.

I enjoyed the concept of the book and while I struggled to grasp the science concepts and to follow the language I think the overall story is really good. I wished that Everett and Sen were older so that we could see their relationship develop.more than it did. I found it difficult to see these two 13 year olds in the romantic light you expect.

I loved the basics of the book; children coping with divorce and loss, the importance of family (even if it isn't your biological family), the feelings and reactions to racism, struggles with authorithy, trusting ones self, and learning to.be just who you are.

Overall I would recommend the book, with caution, have the glossary open and ready ( which I didn't know was there since I was reading on a Kindle), it can be difficult to follow along when you are trying to figure out the meaning of a ' new language' and unless you are a physicist like my husband (or in that case maybe even more so since I can't account for the science aspect) take the science with a grain of salt. I spent way to much time analyzing it and becoming frustrated.

In the end I can say I am looking forward to the next Holland continuing the journey!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Planesrunner.