Imogen Howson's Reviews > Starters

Starters by Lissa Price

Dec 12, 11

bookshelves: 2012-debuts

I just read the chapter sampler for this book and am so frustrated that I can't read the rest yet!

I love the author's seamless worldbuilding. Within the first chapter I knew everything I needed to about the world, I knew what was driving the heroine, and I knew the choice she was going to be forced into making.

I still have questions about exactly how the world came to be like this, but I'm very happy for them to be slowly answered throughout the book rather than all shoved at me early on, and I'm glad the author is doing it this way around.

I was reminded of The Hunger Games (no bad thing!). A dystopian world, a heroine who just wants to be left to live the best life she can, but who is forced into doing something she wouldn't choose in order to help her younger sibling.

Like The Hunger Games, too, there's a section showing the intense contrast between the under-privileged life she leads and the ultra-luxurious life of the rich upper classes. I love classic makeover scenes anyway, but in this and The Hunger Games, it's a different type of makeover, with a sinister undertone that speaks more of the grooming of a sacrificial animal than the transformation scene of a Cinderella-style story.

I also have to mention the fabulous cover art. This is exactly my favourite kind of YA science fiction cover, beautiful but with a menacing Midwich Cuckoos edge to it. It suggests there's a lot more than what lies on the surface, which, given the blurb to the book, is exactly what the rest of the book promises to provide.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starters.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabby (new) - added it

Gabby Excellent review - very helpful, and I bought the book!