Louise Armstrong's Reviews > Veronica at the Wells

Veronica at the Wells by Lorna Hill

Dec 12, 11

This isn't one of my top favourites, but I have to give it 5 stars because it belongs to a 5-star series. These books taught me why people liked classical music, introduced the enchanting notion that girls didn't have to stay in the environment where they had been born, and made it clear that if even the most wonderful man in the world wanted you to give up your essential being, you had to leave him. He'd come round a few years later - or he wasn't worth having.

All this laced with fun and glamour.

'I always think the kitchen is the nicest room in the house - especially if it is a big cournty house. The kitchen at Bracken Hall was lovely; it had a red tiled floor, and an oak dresser with masses of deep blue willow-pattern china upon it. There was a long table, scrubbed to gleaming whiteness with silver san, and a deep window-seat with red-and-white gingham cushions on it. Fiona didn't stay long, though. I think she imagined that sitting in the kitchen lowered her dignity!'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Veronica at the Wells.