Paula Phillips's Reviews > The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender

1969584
Dec 11, 11

Read in December, 2011

We read that most Supernatural novels , ones that the child or teens have abilities tend to be Children's or YA/Teen books but very rarely will you find an Adult Fiction one , when I first saw this book - It was a LP copy and I just can't stand reading LP , so I was glad that I could find it in the Fiction section. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake follows the life of 9 yr old Rose who on the day of her 9th birthday tries a lemon cake that her mum has baked for her , but unlike anything she has ever tasted below the depths of the ingredients is a dark feeling , a feeling of sadness and to Rose the cake tastes empty, hollow and disgusting. As the story goes along, unfortunately for Rose it's not just the lemon cake that tastes like this as her brother Joseph and George decide to spend a Saturday experimenting. Soon it's discovered that Rose has the ability to taste people's feelings in their food . Unfortunately she has yet to master it and has found it difficult to eat , can she explain this to her parents without them thinking she is crazy or anorexic ? We soon discover this curse as Rose calls it is genetic ? Will Rose be able to control it or will the taste of Food and Feelings cause her to lose herself ?
Find out in "The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake.