Tiffany's Reviews > Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Jun 15, 2008

bookshelves: mystery, television
Read in September, 2008

I really enjoyed this book. After watching the first season of "Dexter," though, I couldn't get Michael C. Hall out of my head as Dexter. Oh, well. He's charming.

The book was really enjoyable, even if you haven't watched the show. The book is similar to the first season in some ways, but strays from the storyline or changes it in other ways. Dexter is a witty (even overly-witty at times) blood-spatter investigator in Miami who becomes haunted and hunted by a serial killer who murders prostitutes. Dexter feels a special connection to him...and then finds out he has a deeper connection to the man.

The book has some great writing in it. Dexter's wittiness makes you laugh, and Lindsay has some great alliteration -- "darkly dreaming Dexter" is just one example of the D alliterations sprinkled throughout the book. It's a fast-paced book, and when you come across those patterns (at least for me), they help propel the book even faster.

Definitely worth checking out book #2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkly Dreaming Dexter.