Fani loves angst's Reviews > The Mage in Black

The Mage in Black by Jaye Wells

Dec 16, 2011

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, emotional, kick-ass-heroine
Read from December 12 to 16, 2011

I'm completely with AH on this: this is fast becoming my favorite, guilty pleasure series:) Yes, Sabina is not the most likable heroine around and yes there are better written UF stories out there. But this is so entertaining! It's a nice combination of humorous moments, action, a little romance and some quite emotional moments that caught me by complete surprise. Gighul is one of the most interesting secondary characters out there and he alone makes these books worth reading. "Lawrence of the Labia" LOL! What a title:)

The second part of this book took an unexpectedly emotional turn, compared to the fun and fast pace of the previous book and even this one's first half. I liked it a lot for a change, but I do hope it doesn't become the staple for the following books.

The romance is quite low in this one and we see very little of Adam as he goes out for a mission from almost the beginning till the end. But, dare I admit that right now I'm not his biggest fan? His "hollier than thou" attitude is starting to grate on my nerves a bit and I do hope he changes his tune in the next books. (view spoiler)

This book ends with a bit of a cliffhanger, so I'm heading straight to the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mage in Black.

12/12/2011
25.0% "Couldn't stop once I read the first book. I'm really enjoying this series!"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Great review, Fani. I agree with you about Adam.

Fani loves angst Thanks AH! I thought I was the only one thinking this way about Adam. I hope he improves in the next book(s)?

message 3: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH No comment.

Fani loves angst That doesn't sound promising:(

message 5: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Maybe book 5. I'm hoping for a fantastic end to the series. Gighul rocks in the next book.

Fani loves angst lol! That's good to hear. And I hope to start book #3 soon. I got distracted for a while, but I'm coming back to this series.