Kristilyn's Reviews > Smitten

Smitten by Colleen Coble

Dec 11, 2011

bookshelves: physical-book, read-in-2011, review-books-completed
Read from December 11 to 12, 2011

I am a huge lover of romance. If I’m reading a book of any genre, I always try to find the romantic angle to it. Vampire novel? Gotta have romance. Suspense-thriller novel? Yep — must have romance. True-life novel about a convicted serial killer? Must have romance. It’s just how I am.

With the last two novels I’ve received through Booksneeze – both categorized as romance – I have been pleasantly surprised. I’ve never been one to read Christian romance, but I’m realizing that it’s not any different from any other romance — there’s just the random bit of spirituality thrown in. And you know what? It’s nice.

Smitten is very much like Sex and the City — seems odd to be comparing a Christian romance novel with a sometimes-raunchy, but still fantastic TV show, but the premise for both is the same: four women trying to find love in the city. Sure, one city is Manhattan and the other is Smitten, a small town in Vermont, but love is love when you get down to it.

The writing is fantastic and the story drew me in instantly. The book is broken down into four stories, all intertwined with one another, but each story is about each woman and their quest for love. Each story blended in perfectly with the next, much like when I read An Amish Wedding, and I found myself wanting more after the end of each story. Of course, I’m the same with any romance novel — once the story is done, I want to read more about the couple I fell in love with.

The stories came across somewhat formulaic, but I’ve come to expect that from the chick-lit, romance genre. Still, each story is tender, romantic, humorous, and definitely well-received. I loved that, as we see each woman find love, we also see the town grow and reach its dreams, despite problems or any doubts that may arise. It was also interesting to read that the four writers are also best friends in real life — it made the story all that more real.

If you enjoy romance, chick-lit, or just good books in general, you’ll love Smitten — a story about the little town that could.

FTC Disclaimer: I received this book from Booksneeze for review. I am in no way compensated for any reviews of review copies I receive from publishers, agents, and authors. I receive review copies in return for an honest, fair review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smitten.