Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog's Reviews > Pushing the Limits

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

FIVE++ HUGE STARS!

This is easily one of my favorite reads of the year and it even made my very selective crack-book shelf. This story is ridiculously good, no, it is excellent. It’s simply brilliant. The story and its characters were emotional, raw and beautiful. It was not your normal YA story. It was so much more than that.

For people like me and Echo, our souls contained more scar tissue than life.

Echo had it all. She had her mom, dad and beloved brother, Aires. She was also part of the popular crowd, member of the dance team and dating the captain of the basketball team. This was her normal. This was her life before Aires died serving in the military and before the incident with her mother. Even though she cannot recall all the events surrounding the incident, the event left her scarred physically and emotionally. She will no longer have normal. Now she’s seeing a therapist, her father is now married to her now pregnant former babysitter and no longer part of the popular crowd. This doesn’t deter Echo from trying to achieve normal again. She believes that if she can remember the events of the incident, she can start to heal and possibly start accept her life now. However, no one will tell her what happened, not her therapist and certainly not her father. She’s left to try piece everything together on her own. Desperate to find out, she befriends and enlists the help of Noah.

Noah wasn’t always about getting high, chasing girls and earning a bad reputation. He once had a promising future until the day he lost his parents, leaving him and his two younger brothers parentless and in the mercy of the foster care system. He and his younger brothers were separated and placed in the care of different foster families. Noah’s first foster family experience ended in disaster and was unfairly deemed as emotionally unstable. Convinced that his brothers were also placed in an unsuitable environment, he is determined to find out all he can about his brother’s family, hoping he can dig up dirt to use in a possible custody battle for his brothers once he turns eighteen. Unfortunately, his therapist will not give him the information he needs. Initially Echo was only there to help him and vise versa. According to Noah, she’s a siren. He’s not supposed to feel anything for her. He’s not a commitment/relationship type of guy. So what is it about Echo that makes him feel differently? She makes him want more. What is going on?

”Echo, I can’t tell you what’s going to happen because I don’t know. I don’t hold hands in the hallway or sit at anyone else’s lunch table. But I swear…on my brothers that you’ll never be a joke to me and you’ll be much more than a girl in the backseat of my car.”

Echo and Noah were not designed for one another. Plus, in their own eyes and in the eyes of others, they’re deemed as damaged. Who would want all their baggage? The road to their relationship was rocky. They both denied their feelings for each other, thinking that it’ll just add further complications to their already difficult lives. Fate, however, brought these two together for a reason. They start to develop a trust not easily given to others and they slowly start to heal. Their relationship was real and raw. They made each other realize that there was more to life than what was dealt; that it was okay to want more. Together they made a passionate couple and my heart ached for them to work everything out.

There is so much more I can say about this book. I can easily delve into how much I loved Echo and Noah and how they complemented each other perfectly. I can also start going and on about the secondary cast of characters, like Lila, Isaiah and Beth, which were all amazing, but that would make this review longer than it already is.

My parting thoughts are as follows: This was just excellent. Its one of those stories that when you finish, you just want to flip back to the beginning and read everything all over again. I love Echo and Noah’s story. I love how emotional it is; I love how it made me angry; I love how it made me tear up. I especially love how happy I was with the end result. I love everything about this story. I highly, HIGHLY recommend!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pushing the Limits.

Quotes Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Liked

Katie McGarry
“Luke used to give me butterflies. Noah spawned mutant pterodactyls.”
Katie McGarry, Pushing the Limits

Katie McGarry
“I love you enough to never make you choose.”
Katie McGarry, Pushing the Limits

07/06/2012
28.0% "Still trying to put all the pieces together, but one thing is for sure...I am not a fan of Echo's father and step-mother. Ughhh!" 2 comments
07/08/2012
58.0% "This book has been utterly amazing so far. **Sigh** I'm so in love with Noah. As for Echo, she's just a beautiful character. Love it, love it, love it =)" 2 comments
07/08/2012
84.0% "I've got to get up in 4 hours to catch a flight back home. Unfortunately, this book is way too good to put down. Oh well, I'll sleep on the plane.... =)"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michelle [Helen Geek] I want this one ... but the price! Hope you enjoy.

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog The price is def a put off, but I was lucky to get an ARC. However, so far, it's been very, very good :)

Maria Great Review Tess, I'm looking forward to this one!!

☕Bεε Yes, well done. Going on my TBR pile.

Michelle [Helen Geek] I loved this review. I changed my profile again to try and get an ARC, so we'll see. I may have to break down and pay the $10 but don't want to on pure principle. You are pushing me!

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Thank you, Jenn & Michelle :) It's definitely worth it. :)

message 7: by ✿Alyssa✿ (new)

✿Alyssa✿ Awesome review Tessamari! I've been so excited to read this one- I plan to buy it the day it's released! You know how I felt about Avoiding Commitment and Avoiding Responsibility... so do you think this is a book that I'll like?

message 8: by Annie (new) - added it

Annie Brewer Can't wait to get my hands on this book. I want it NOW!!!!!!!! lol

message 9: by Jolyn (new)

Jolyn Can't wait to try this one!!

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» GREAT REVIEW!! I loved this book! Noah....*sigh* is just amazing! :D

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog OMG! I Love this story. Noah and Echo's characters were so beautiful. Ugh! I just love it!!

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» I know exactly how you feel! I couldn't stop talking about them in my review! The truth is I NEVER wanted the book to end.... :D It was AMAZING!