Michelle Rocha's Reviews > Catherine, Called Birdy

Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman

This book does an excellent job of painting a detailed picture of daily life during the middle ages. From dreadful hygiene to daily eats Catherine's journal finally shows readers that the middle ages wasn't all knights and princesses and shiny castles. There are reasons we don't live like that anymore. I read this several years ago and adored it! If I were reviewing it then I would have given it 5 stars. I just read it with my daughter who sighed at all the humor I had to stop and explain and who needed to do a vocabulary check every two pages. A lot of it sailed over her head. Bottom line: great book for more advanced readers with an interest in medieval life (you know, those rare kids who love going to renaissance festivals) and for adults even. Keep it far away from the average middle schooler. Because my reviews are aimed at books recommended for middle school kids, I gotta give 4 stars though I would personally give it 5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catherine, Called Birdy.