Jamie's Reviews > Dear Cary: My Life with Cary Grant

Dear Cary by Dyan Cannon

Dec 14, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from December 11 to 14, 2011

Once again I am reminded that if you want to continue liking a celebrity, do not read a book about him. It turns out that Cary Grant was a controlling, cold, reluctant husband and strong pusher of LSD use.

This is an interesting look at celebrity in the 50s-60s as well as an insightful peek into Cary Grant's life. I don't know much about Dyan Cannon and I'm not sure I really know much more about her after reading this book. Except for her breakdown, this book isn't really about her very much. It's more about how she completely lost her identity through her marriage to Grant.

It's a quick read and I'm sure that Cary Grant fans will be intrigued. It doesn't paint him in a flattering light, so if you want to keep being a fan, this is not the book for you. But it does go a long way toward explaining his many marriages and rather outspoken approval of LSD.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear Cary.

Jennifer I would highly recommend Jennifer Grant's book "Good Stuff". Her perspective of Cary Grant is very different from her mothers and leaves you loving him all over again.