Douglas Wilson's Reviews > Explaining Postmodernism: Skepticism and Socialism from Rousseau to Foucault

Explaining Postmodernism by Stephen R.C. Hicks

Dec 11, 11

bookshelves: philosophy, politics
Read in December, 2011

Stephen Hicks is some sort of Objectivist or Randian, and so that should be said right up front. And this means I do not know how he managed to get that many rocks onto his magic epistemological carpet, and still less do I know how he got it to fly like that. But let us assume his craft was flight-worthy . . . Hicks spent the entire book beaning postmodernists with rocks. He has a good arm, and is a nice shot. I haven't enjoyed a book this much in quite some time.

Hicks provides an essential service here -- he shows the connections between postmodern theory and hard Leftist politics. Here is his thesis: "The failure of epistemology made postmodernism possible, and the failure of socialism made postmodernism necessary.."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Explaining Postmodernism.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael God has really been blessing your choices of late. You are on a good streak. I hope it continues.