Jennifer's Reviews > Heartbreak Soup

Heartbreak Soup by Gilbert Hernández

Jul 15, 08

bookshelves: comics
Recommended for: anyone, but not for the kiddies
Read in July, 2008

This is a very large compilation of Palomar stories- so large, in fact, that I ended up spending a good part of yesterday sitting outside the library on a bench reading so I could finish the darn thing and return it. I think sitting en pleine air only aided the stories, however- a bit of breeze and the general heat of a less-humid DC day got me into the feeling of this Central American town. I did not enjoy it at first, and was continually frustrated by not knowing what was going on, or who was who. As the stories progress, however, the kids of the first stories mature (sort of) into the adults of the later stories, and the interconnections between them become clearer and heart-breakingly honest. The very last stories were my favorite, though some of the most wrenching, because finally we really understand who everyone is, and why they act in the ways that they do.

This is one talented artist, and a talented storyteller. I highly recommend this volume, just make sure you set aside the time to really appreciate it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heartbreak Soup.