Sarah's Reviews > Anthropology of an American Girl

Anthropology of an American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann

Dec 11, 11

Read in September, 2011

Really a 2.5, but I'm not feeling charitable enough to round up. I think that the NPR review, which compared this book to Twilight and the main character to Bella, got it right. It set itself up in the beginning as an intellectual/philosophical exploration into the mind of "an american girl" and I kept waiting for the payoff. Other than the extreme narcissism of the main character, there was nothing remotely anthropological, intellectually stimulating or even interesting here.

If I were to make a movie based on this book, the movie would consist of the protagonist blankly staring at herself in the mirror for four hours while she narrated her story in a voice-over. The mirror would stand in as an obvious metaphor for her passivity in the events of her life and remind the reader that an active internal soliloquy is not a proxy for living. But, my take away and my "interpretation" of the book is probably not the one intended by the author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anthropology of an American Girl.