Dale Amidei's Reviews > The Anvil of the Craftsman

The Anvil of the Craftsman by Dale Amidei

Jun 08, 15

(Review from the author)
Read in December, 2011

Though some readers frown on authors rating their own books, I choose to use this forum to mirror the review results of the Kindle Edition, which currently holds 4.6 stars across one hundred and thirty-five reviews on Amazon. Should that change, I will revise my own rating here.

"Anvil" is the story of one young man with a vision, one friend with a mission, the men who want to kill them and the man who wants to keep them alive. As a personal note, I reiterate what I have written about the work elsewhere: graced to write but a single novel, I'd remain pleased to have it be this one.

Here is the blurb:

"A doctoral candidate in Theological Studies accepts recruitment by a friend in the U.S. State Department for an initiative to the most troublesome province in 2006 Iraq. The many challenges of nation building expand the mission from diplomacy to a survival situation as local and international interests position themselves to oppose the State Department initiative: one vital to progress in an uncertain theater.

Terrorism and counter-terror operations threaten to keep the team from leaving the relative safety of Baghdad. Until, that is, a former USAF Special Tactics operative hunting the men who want to kill them draws duty as their protector. The simple questions posed during a tribal council threaten provincial and regional stability; the conclusions reached explode into a clash of faith, loyalty, schism and betrayal that will help shape the future of two nations.

The Anvil of the Craftsman, the debut novel by author Dale Amidei, will be appreciated by fans of a broad range of fiction; from aficionados of the haunting themes of Ernest Hemingway to readers of the tightly woven plots of Tom Clancy and popular titles of authors like Vince Flynn, Brad Thor, David Baldacci, W.E.B. Griffin and Richard Marcinko."

"Anvil" is available on Kindle, Nook, iTunes, and Kobo in addition to Smashwords. Paperback editions can be ordered from Amazon and CreateSpace. Approx. 93,000 words / 312pp. print length.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Anvil of the Craftsman.

Quotes Dale Liked

Dale Amidei
“You’re judging now, sir. We judge every time we decide.” Anthony regretted the words almost as he formed them, but for just a second they helped vent a pressure wave, the surge of emotion that he felt building up inside him.”

Dale Amidei
“People in that setting spent a lot of time talking and very little doing. They seemed so often to be divorced from real-world considerations.”

Dale Amidei
“He was here, right now, moving always forward.”

Dale Amidei
“The top of a hill had the best view.”

Dale Amidei
“What happened, happened; then as much mattered in how it was handled as in what had taken place.”

Dale Amidei
“McAllen nodded to Schuster and headed for the stairwell again. Yes, I could be wrong, and big armored battle monkeys could fly out of my ass before lunch too.”

Dale Amidei
“Colby cradled the phone and sat back in his chair. It was a hell of a way to salvage the initiative, and now with the machine of bureaucracy working against him, she was probably right in thinking that it was the only way. He would wait for the word to descend; then, he would do whatever he needed to.”

Dale Amidei
“The days of autocratic rule are for the history books, not for building the future.”

Dale Amidei
“I thought what I did was hard. You have a tougher job, Doc. Men are relatively easy to kill, way too easy if you ask me, but changing their hearts—that’s where the heavy lifting comes in.”