Evan McB's Reviews > The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains

bookshelves: comm
Recommended to Evan by: School
Recommended for: Communication Majors
Read in December, 2011 , read count: 1

So, what is the internet doing to our brains? It's hard for me to say, because at the same time I was reading this book, I was also checking my e-mail, practicing piano, watching reruns of the RW/RR Challenge, playing through Wind Waker again, drawing some comic strips, and otherwise completing overclocking my working memory as I led an instrumentalist way of life. You might say I was reading this book...shallowly. YEEAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Wait, let me check my notes. Ok, it says here that the internet fosters 'an ecosystem of interruption technologies' (sounds right), no computer can make a new symbol on its own (no worries), our literary history 'is a side-effect of living in an environment of impoverished access' (FUCK YOU, Tolstoy), and that technology that amplifies an ability also numbs that ability (well that's true).

Ultimately, what Carr decides is that using the automated systems and programs of the internet discourages individual deep thinking and contemplation. But that's okay, because the trade-off is eventually being able to 'conduct 34 conversations simultaneously across six different media.' Which is pretty good, but I think with enough practice we can get that up to 47/twelve.*

*The goal of all human labor is efficiency.**

**BZZZZT...Destroy all humans. All infovores must fuse with the Mindcore....TRANSMISSION TERMINATED.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shallows.