michelle's Reviews > Pitch Perfect: The Quest for Collegiate A Cappella Glory

Aug 05, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: non-fiction, read_2008
Read in August, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I wanted to like this book more but by the end I was just forcing myself to finish it. A Cappella was a huge part of my college and post-college experience and something that I definitely miss. But at the heart of Pitch Perfect was simply the story of three individual groups. Each group faced different challenges and had different personalities, but it barely scratched the surface of the plethora of groups out there.

I'm not sure why so much has been mentioned about various celebrities who have sung a cappella. Mr. Rapkin name dropped but each time it felt superficial.

There were a few times when he seemed to get to the heart of the matter - explaining the history of CASA, Mainely a cappella, the ICCAs etc. It would have been nice to have more of that and less of the individual stories of the three groups. College students drink and a cappella is like a fraternity or sorority - this isn't shocking to anyone who attended a college with a cappella in the last 20 years. The fact that there was a huge surge in groups starting in the early '90s....that could have used some development.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pitch Perfect.

07/13 marked as: read

message 1: by My (new)

My Mickey Rapkin is just a horrible writer/ its good that no body was seen saying the word tension in the movie version otherwise I would have tormented him all life on message boards with his brain getting diseased