M.A. Demers's Reviews > Two Weeks At Gay Banana Hot Springs

Two Weeks At Gay Banana Hot Springs by T.T. Thomas

Jan 11, 2012

bookshelves: own-and-read
Read in December, 2011

As Gil Grissom puts it in my favourite episode of CSI, “Murder is easy. Comedy is hard.” I’m always in awe of anyone who can write comedy, and who can maintain consistency in their work. T. T. Thomas’ debut novella is written with confidence, in a funny, sarcastic voice that carries through with such witty aphorisms as “It’s a numbers game, Ret. If you call enough fools, someone’s gonna agree to pay the phone bill.” I found myself smiling often, chuckling on occasion, and even laughing out loud once or twice, which is more than I usually do watching my favourite comedy shows (and Gay Banana delivers without an annoying laugh track).

Like the Amazon reviewer Bens, I’m behind on my gay fiction; and what I found interesting is how similar women’s experiences are, straight or gay, if Thomas’ characters are to be believed: disappointing dates that end before ten o’clock, crushed expectations, and awkward good-byes are clearly universal. As such I found I connected with Ret despite our different preferences.

I pretty much agree with Bens’ review, including his observation of the novella’s weakness: Thomas sets up a longer story than she delivers in the end; some of the storylines could have been developed more. I have bought two of her other books, one just for the title alone — My Second Stupid Suicide — and am curious to see how she develops as a writer. There’s clearly a talent and confidence here worthy to be nurtured.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Weeks At Gay Banana Hot Springs.