Anne Pfeffer's Reviews > South of Bixby Bridge

South of Bixby Bridge by Ryan Winfield

Dec 11, 2011

Read in December, 2011

I don't usually read books with this kind of subject matter, but I downloaded a sample of this one when I saw the amazing reviews it was getting. The reviews were spot on. When the writing's this good, you find yourself in for the read, even if it's not your usual type of book.

The main character, Trevor, is an alcoholic who was checked into rehab by his girlfriend and her mother. Just released from rehab as the book opens, he's only partially committed to staying sober. The story follows him through a hellish journey of personal discovery (I'm keeping it vague here to avoid spoilers). There are some great characters in the form of a colorful villain and villainess, as well as a sympathetic almost-mother-in-law. The book, though, really belongs to Trevor, a fundamentally good guy, who tries hard to do the right thing, but just keeps screwing up.

From the first sentence, the book hooks you in and doesn't let you go. Winfield keeps the tension up throughout so there's no way you're going to put down this book. Even when you're wincing and groaning over Trevor's latest bad decision, you're still flipping pages, compelled to keep going and see what happens to the poor guy.

When I was 93% of the way through, I had my own personal trauma. Kindle cut off my access to the book! In mid-sentence, while I was reading! This was because I had to close down my VISA account due to a fraud problem and was waiting for a new VISA card. So there I was without a VISA, and Kindle wasn't letting me finish the book! It was agony. When I finally got the card, the first thing I did was reinstate myself with Kindle and finish South of Bixby Bridge. I suggest you do the same!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read South of Bixby Bridge.