Mel B.'s Reviews > 100 Cupboards

Dec 12, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ebook-loan
Read from December 11 to 12, 2011

Pleasurable read. A young boy who has never been allowed to do anything finds himself living with his aunt and uncle and cousins, and is now allowed to do everything. His uncle, in particular, seems to be supportive and surprised by nothing.

Magical tale of a boy who finds doorways into other worlds. Feels a little too familiar -- a little Narnia-esque. Would have appreciated more adventures on the other side of the cabinet. Maybe that's next in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 100 Cupboards.

Mike This was a read aloud for us; the kids really loved it.

message 2: by Jay (last edited Dec 14, 2011 09:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Miklovic I totally get your review, but had a bit of a different take. The thing that made me like this book so much was that most of the time was not spent in the cupboards, which made it decidedly different from Narnia. I do completely agree with you though that the idea of the story was very "Narnian". It seems to me that Wilson has a fascination with making the mundane seem magical, I like that.

Mel B. It grounds it more in reality, so I can see that point. I do like that he seems to fit so well in his extended family, so it's nice to see more of them, and not see them drawn as people to endure. They're remarkably patient, which is probably explained by his uncle's nature.

message 4: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Miklovic Uncle Frank was one of the better characters I have read in a while. I like how you say 'not see them drawn to endure.' I don't read a lot in this genre, but that does seem to be a common theme in what I have read, that somehow the family of the main characters are always misunderstanding or aloof and always need avoided or endured. The role of Dotty and Frank was unique.