Jeff's Reviews > Querelle

Querelle by Jean Genet

Oct 13, 2008

bookshelves: fiction, french
Read in July, 2008

Now that's what I'm talkin' about - page after page of brooding homoeroticism. Find yourself transported into the schemes, double-crosses, and deepest thoughts of the men in a French port city. And there's mansex, but it's not pansy sex, it's men performing sex acts with men, perfectly masculine stuff.

A straight guy reading this is like a straight guy wearing pink - some people may think this means you're gay, but smarter people know it's really a validation of your confidence in your identity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Querelle.

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine I don't know if this is a Goodreads appropriate question but since you put it in your review...Pansy sex versus men performing sex acts with men. What exactly is pansy sex?

And if I am ever looking for a good homoerotic book, you are the person I am asking! And I do agree with your pink theory.

Jeff Pansy, or fairy, refers to the larger persona of the person involved. A pansy (as Genet uses the term, and also what this term meant in the past) is a man that has taken on a female persona: wearing makeup and women's clothes, taking on feminine affectations, etc. And also typically taking on the receptive role in sex.

None of the main characters are pansies. Gay New York by George Chauncey goes into a lot of detail on pansies and sexual identities.

message 3: by W.B. (new)

W.B. Sex with pansies is never appropriate. Flowers should be left to propagate as God (or Satan, if they are evil-born pansies) intended.