Jillian Heise's Reviews > Crash

Dec 06, 12

bookshelves: conf-ncte-alan-2012, all-time-favorites, r-j
Read on November 28, 2012

Review originally posted on Heise Reads & Recommends

This is a must-get book - I can't wait to get this into the hands of teens because I think they're going to eat it up. I adore Lisa McMann and have enjoyed all of her other books, so I was excited to see she'd be signing advanced copies at NCTE this year. Ever since I read the synopsis of this book, I knew I wanted to read it...and it totally lived up to, and exceeded, my expectations. The great thing about Lisa McMann's young adult books, just like in the WAKE trilogy, is the ease with which she writes that makes for a fast read and in a style that engages my more hesitant student readers as well. CRASH was unputdownable and I read it in one day, which was good because I was dying to know what would happen and how it would all turn out.

The plot of this story is suspenseful and fast-moving. There are layers to what is going on with family and school and the visions and romance and everything that's happening that keep the reader going. The reader goes along with Jules as she tries to figure out what exactly is happening to her, and we find out more about her home life as we go along as well as what's happening to her at school and with the boy she's been in love with since she was a kid. This all comes to a head in the last third of the book as the visions become more insistent and Jules realizes time is running out for her to figure out what's happening and save the people she cares about.

I so enjoyed the characters in CRASH. Lisa McMann has written relatable, entertaining, and endearing primary and secondary characters in this story. The voice of Jules is fantastic, especially the sarcastic top 5 lists throughout. I'd want to be friends with her for sure. There is also so much humor in this story, especially in her interactions with her family, that kept me engaged throughout. Her family situation is not always the best, but her sibling relationships are something everyone would hope for. She has an incredible older brother in Trey, who happens to be gay, which is handled in such a subtle, matter-of-fact, honest, realistic way which I really loved. I really felt like I was reading about real teens and real things that would happen to them, with the added context of the fantasy elements of the visions added in.

CRASH is a book for readers who like romance, quick-reads, suspense, mystery, science-fictiony/fantasyish predicitons of the future, family stories, and those who just want an engaging, fun, exciting read. I'm super happy to hear that there are going to be four books in this series. I definitely want more of this story and engaging world Lisa has created in the Visions series!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crash.

11/28/2012 page 68