All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > The Shattered Dark

Nov 02, 12

bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail
Read in October, 2012

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy See site review for similar titles

McKenzie Lewis, a human with the highly sought after ability to track fae, is back and once again embroiled in the fae civil war. In THE SHATTERED DARK, there’s not quite as much story development, but be prepared for non-stop action, intrigue, and a few bombshells that will leave you dying for book three.

While THE SHADOW READER was one of my best reads in 2011, unfortunately, THE SHATTERED DARK does fall into the trap that so many sequels do: not a lot happens to advance the story or characters. There are countless escape scenes after escape scenes that all tended to blur together. I also was let down by the complete standstill with the romance. The upheaval in THE SHADOW READER was so deliciously devastating that I was dying to see the fallout from McKenzie’s choices, but it wasn’t really there in THE SHATTERED DARK. McKenzie agonized internally about her past decisions without really making any new ones.

On the upside, the ending of THE SHATTERED DARK was excellent. All the big developments I’d been hoping for finally happened and they were absolutely worth waiting for. I’m right back to the dying-to-know-what-happens-next phase that the first book left me in. So while the majority of this book felt like it was stalling for time, the ending saved it. There are no details about the third McKenzie Lewis book, but look for it to hit stores in 2013.

Sexual Content:
Kissing

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shattered Dark.