Ann's Reviews > The Silver Chair

The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis

Jun 15, 2008

bookshelves: animals, classics, fantasy, young-adult
Read in June, 2008

I felt that The Silver Chair gave better character arcs to the "son and daughter of Adam and Eve" than some of the other Narnia books. The focus of the book seemed to be shared between the children, Eustace and Jill, as well as the quest - instead of focusing on the quest alone. Also, the Marsh-wiggle is a well drawn character and pretty unique from Lewis' other personalities in Narnia.
Like the other books in the series, this one continues to touch the surface of the adventures and explanations, but I felt it was more complete than some of the other books in the series. Perhaps I'm just getting more used to Lewis' writing style.
As always though we are taken to wonderful new places and meet interesting new characters, and visits from old friends are always met with a warm heart. Certain parts were somewhat sad, but most of it was happily addressed at the end.
Aslan is always very magnificent! And I found myself very much enjoying the adventures and the characters throughout the book!

***

Embarking to Narnia again;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Chair.

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn You'll have to tell me in person what a Marsh-wiggle is!!! Glad you're still enjoying the series.

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Will do!:)

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Storm Wonderful review! And of all the Narnia villains, the Emerald Witch is by far the most bewitching!

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Thank you, Lily!!

I haven't read all the books yet (I started out of order) but she really was horrible, wasn't she?

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol Storm Well, sort of . . . but you could see why Prince Rilian was so in love with her!

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Yes, true! I felt a rather sorry for poor Rilian...

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol Storm Me too! Did you read THE HORSE AND HIS BOY?

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann No, not yet.... Hopefully I'll get to it soon. I've read:
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
Prince Caspian
Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Silver Chair (obviously, ;-> )
The Last Battle
So, I've got to go back and read the first few.
Have you read the whole series?

Orion I love all your comments

Orion to mollie and Jamie: I might get the silver chair tomorrow

message 11: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars