Lynn's Reviews > Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

Dec 12, 11

Read from December 11 to 12, 2011

I've read so many novels lately that are either flat out depressing or full of dark overtones, so reading this was much needed breath of fresh air. It's light, quick and entertaining reading. The only true laugh-out-loud moment I had was at the end where Mindy observes that the average male takes about twenty-seven times longer to put their shoes on than a woman. This is so perfectly true and hilarious. (Seriously, why do they have to sit down to do it? Why does this take such an appreciable chunk of time that I can actually plan activities for myself while I wait for the laborious lace-tying to be finished?)

Another aspect of this book that is refreshing is that Mindy is a normal person, who manages to have a successful career in Hollywood, both in front of and behind the camera, without being some crazy, drama-laden diva who backstabbed her way to the top. She had a normal, stable childhood, she dotes on her parents, she's never had a one-night stand. Ok, maybe it sounds boring, but I think it's kind of charming and a bit more relatable than some of the craziness that ends up on TMZ. And that's really the strength of Mindy's writing - she makes her book enjoyable and funny even though her path to success is pretty conventional.

Her tone throughout the book is witty, but as others have noted, it won't have laughing so hard you're in tears. I would think, being a comedy writer, there would be this onus to be constantly funny in your book, to the point where you are twisting reality or greatly exaggerating it to benefit a punch line. Mindy is amusing, without being so over the top that her writing feels impersonal.

The book feels a little lacking in depth though - almost a bit premature - perhaps she should have waited a few more years before writing it. I can't help but think that The Office won't be along much longer, and it would be interesting to see what life after The Office is like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Gail Didn't you kind of love the chapter where she just showed random shots from her Blackberry? I also loved the "Best Friends Rights & Responsibilities"....for true laugh out loud, pick up Tina's book. I might have actually had tears streaming down my face over that one.

Lynn Yeah, I meant to mention the Blackberry part in my review. I think that's kind of brilliant. If you want to REALLY know someone nowadays, you don't look through their medicine cabinet, you look through their phone. It felt like she was really letting us into her world.

I have a copy of Tina's book, but decided to read this one first because it seems everyone likes it better. I didn't want to be reading Mindy's book and comparing it to Tina's.