Traci Haley's Reviews > Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life

Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life by Bryan Lee O'Malley

May 31, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novels, 2008
Read in January, 2008

I debated what to rate this graphic novel. On the one hand, the characters are thoroughly unlikable. Scott Pilgrim is a vapid, useless lump of a man who is dating a high schooler because that's the level of his maturity/emotional intelligence. Ramona Flowers is standoffish and rude because it makes her look "cool". The only redeeming character was Wallace, the gay roommate. On the other hand, once introductions got over, during the last scene of the book (the concert and Scott's fight with the first evil ex-boyfriend) I really started to like this quirky, little story. The art is definitely not a factor -- the drawings are little more than scribbles on the page and I daresay I could probably do just as well. I will probably continue reading to find out what happens. And when the movie comes out, I'll probably see it... I now believe that Michael Cera was brilliant casting for Scott Pilgrim's character, because I hate Michael Cera with a passion, too. Perhaps one of Ramona's evil ex boyfriends will triumph? One can only hope.

Edited to add: Three years later, I decided to revisit this review, as it has occasionally garnered some comments from people annoyed at my audacity to hold an opinion. I'm not going to change my rating because my opinion stands firm. I really *didn't* care greatly for the first volume of Scott Pilgrim. But I also went on to read all the subsequent volumes...and fell in love with the series, the characters (maybe not Scott... I still kind of dislike him...), and yes, even the artwork. I even enjoyed the movie (except for Michael Cera... I still hate him, too). So anyone thinking about starting this series? DO... and keep going, even if the first one doesn't dazzle you like it didn't dazzle me.
32 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life.

Naomi And when the movie comes out, I'll probably see it... I now believe that Michael Cera was brilliant casting for Scott Pilgrim's character, because I hate Michael Cera with a passion, too.

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I still need to see the movie, but omgggggggggg best comparison.

Traci Haley The movie's actually not bad... but I still hated Michael Cera *laugh*

Owen The first book did not dazzle me but I am still interested in reading more, especially after reading this review because I concur.

Alex I was actually taken in by the first book BECAUSE of the characters. It felt like O'Malley was trying to make characters that represented our current generation, and I think he was fairly close to hitting the nail on the head.

Anisha Rohra Thanks for the edit; wasn't going to keep reading till I read that cause I just was not impressed by the first.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Alcenius I share this opinion. The main character is a lump. I read the second volume too and it was same-same. Will not continue.