Becky's Reviews > The God Killers

The God Killers by David  Simpson

Jan 09, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: abandoned, 2012, disappointing, made-my-eyes-bleed, mystery-and-thrillers, ebook_nook, reviewed, religion-y
Read from January 08 to 09, 2012

OK... Here's the thing. I was asked to review this book, and I agreed, thinking that it was an interesting premise. And it DOES have an interesting premise, one that I was very curious about, but anything interesting about it was buried under the writing.

This book is in desperate need of an editor. I think that with a good editor, this book could be quite good, but as it is, it was just... not. I tried, but I just could not finish this book. I could barely make it the 30% I read. And that was a struggle.

I don't think I'm an overly critical reader... But I do have certain expectations. For instance, I expect physics to be realistic. If it's fictional world physics, I expect them to be well-explained and consistent. If they are real world Earth physics, I expect them to act like it. A bullet cannot make a 90 degree turn to enter through the temple on the side of the head and then exit through the back of the head. It just doesn't happen. Gravity always pulls down and never sideways. Normal people cannot jump onto speeding cars, bounce off the windshield, over the roof, and then miraculously snag that little gap between the back window and the car's trunk and then have a fight on top of the car as though it's not moving. This character had more trouble maneuvering on the moving car alone than he had when fighting 6+ ghosts off at once.

I wanted to like this book. Like I said before, I thought the concept of an evil, hungry God was intriguing, and Near Death Experiences being used as a method of fighting him is even more so. But in the end, I just couldn't get past the writing, the over-descriptiveness, the unreality of the things that should have been constant laws of nature. I have no problem suspending my disbelief to allow for the NDEs and ghosts and hellish angels and demonic bureaucrats. Well... the last bit doesn't require much suspension, but I digress. I could go along with all of that, if it weren't for the writing making it so hard to actually READ. Here's an example:
"He stepped lightly, careful to avoid the dampest areas of the floor, and pulled out his durable, double-ply, English-style handkerchief, making the regrettable but graceful decision to sacrifice it in the name of saving his sleek, flat-front burberry cotton trousers, placing it on the decaying, splintered bench of the booth where Officer Roche's ample frame was docked.

Roche barely looked up from the red sauce coating the chicken wings clutched between his meaty paws and blubberous opposable digits."

I think that the raw potential is there... but it needs honing and to make it into something worth keeping.
19 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God Killers.

01/08
03/08 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie I like how you keep making my eyes bleed by re-posting that quote over and over again :P

Becky Jackie wrote: "I like how you keep making my eyes bleed by re-posting that quote over and over again :P"

Hehe... It's the shortened version, at least.

JG (The Introverted Reader) I think my brain is bleeding after reading that quote!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who comments on physics when reading fantasy/not-of-the-real-world books! Naomi Novik got me at the end of His Majesty's Dragon. I collapsed into giggles in a hospital waiting room, I found it to be so implausible.

Becky JG (The Introverted Reader) wrote: "I think my brain is bleeding after reading that quote!

Physics and plausibility are important! I can suspend disbelief for a lot of things, but some are just too much.

One of the things that really bothered me, that I decided not to include in my review lest it turn into a lecture (though maybe I should've anyway), were about the, err... extracurricular activities of the main characters. I can't imagine entrusting my life, my resuscitation, to a heroin junkie. Nope. Just can't do it. And not only putting up with it, but encouraging, helping, LITERALLY PUSHING it?! I can understand wanting an escape from things... but this? No. Just no.

And then the effects weren't even realistic. One minute the guy's nodding off, and then the next he's hopped up like he's on speed or something.

JUST SAY NO!

message 5: by Becky (last edited Jan 28, 2012 09:18AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Becky Girlygirl wrote: "Becky. ok First of all I love this book. Second you CAN'T judge a book if you DIDN"T FINISH, it really makes you look unprofessional. lastly you shouldn't call yourself a blogger. You're not good at it."

Thanks for your comment, "Girlygirl". I most certainly trust and value the opinion of a nameless and faceless person who just joined Goodreads 3 hours and 28 minutes ago in order to rate all 3 of Simpson's books 5 stars, favorite him as an author, & like great reviews of Simpson's work and attack negative ones (IE: Mine). That's certainly professional. Far more than I am. Thank you for setting the example.

And thanks for visiting my blog! Hope you entered my contest! Be sure to link to your own and I'll stop by and say hi! :)

Allison (The Allure of Books) hey, any traffic to your blog is good traffic! :)

message 7: by Chris (last edited Jan 28, 2012 09:28AM) (new)

Chris *coughsockpuppetcough*

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

"You call yourself a blogger..."

Bwahahahahahaha

Man, I spit coffee reading that.

Sosad.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Also, now I shall read this next instead of my original plan.

Just so I can be unprofessional at *gasp* blogging *gasp* too!

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Allison (The Allure of Books) wrote: "hey, any traffic to your blog is good traffic! :)"

message 11: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Great review, Becy. You manage to make your points but you're good-natured about it. I think I will skip this one. And that quote from the book? Wow... just wow. "Blubberous opposing digits"? You're kidding, right?

Allison (The Allure of Books) Chris wrote: "Allison (The Allure of Books) wrote: "hey, any traffic to your blog is good traffic! :)"

There you go. And Allison should know, after the douchey author that blasted her last month. Heh...."

I am STILL getting traffic from that! :)

message 13: by Becky (new) - rated it 1 star

Becky Thomas wrote: "Great review, Becy. You manage to make your points but you're good-natured about it. I think I will skip this one. And that quote from the book? Wow... just wow. "Blubberous opposing digits"? You'r..."

Well Thomas, "GirlyGirl", "Gloria", "Clare", and all loved the book so much that they all joined Goodreads today and rated it (and Simpson's other books) 5 stars each in a remarkably coincidental timeframe.

So, you know, I'm probably wrong in my assessment. Not to mention unprofessional. O_o

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris Hey now, I've considered changing my screen name to Blubberous Opposing Digits.

Actually, that would be a great name for a band.

message 15: by Becky (new) - rated it 1 star

Becky B.O.D. for short?

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris Becky wrote: "B.O.D. for short?"

Perfect!

message 17: by MrsJoseph (last edited Jan 30, 2012 09:08AM) (new)

MrsJoseph Becky wrote: "Thomas wrote: "Great review, Becy. You manage to make your points but you're good-natured about it. I think I will skip this one. And that quote from the book? Wow... just wow. "Blubberous opposing..."

Good to know! Sockpuppets ahoy! Think I should flag?

message 18: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph Shawn wrote: "It's fascinating, Becky, how rude you can be to an independent author. Stating your point of view is perfectly acceptable but being rude is just inconsiderate. At least Simpson is working hard to..."

It's fascinating, Shawn, that you felt the need to come to a negative review to leave your unwanted opinion. From the comfort of your computer chair.

Go write your own review.

message 20: by Becky (new) - rated it 1 star

Becky Shawn wrote: "It's fascinating, Becky, how rude you can be to an independent author. Stating your point of view is perfectly acceptable but being rude is just inconsiderate. At least Simpson is working hard to promote his novels and gaining tons of followers whilst you diss people from the comfort of your computer chair."

Please indicate where my review crossed the line from "stating my view" to "rude", Shawn. Please do. Point out the personal attacks, or name calling, or insults.

Go ahead. I'll wait.

Still waiting... Probably because there is none of that in my review.

You have a good day now.

message 21: by Niall (new)

Niall thought I would jump on the "six months down the line from the original post" bandwagon. I think I must be reading a different review from Shawn, as I picked up that Becky really wanted to like the book, but that, for her, it suffered from poor editing.

Oh a note for the Author. If you do ever get the chance to re edit the book "durable, double-ply, English-style handkerchief"? In Britain we just call them handkerchiefs, just a thought.
However, that would be a great title for Blubberous Opposing Digits second album.

message 22: by Becky (new) - rated it 1 star

Becky Thanks Niall - one free CD copy for you when the new album is out. ;)

message 23: by Bel (new)

Bel  D Ahahaha, that quote youu gave, feels like the author gobbled down the alphabet and started pooping out adjective soup...LOL so fail

message 24: by DoodlePanda (new) - added it

DoodlePanda Great review! :D

message 25: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph So, I just read that quote to hubby. When I got to the end of the first sentence he was rolling his eyes...

Then I told him that I'd only read 1 sentence.

You should have seen his face.

message 26: by Becky (new) - rated it 1 star

Becky MrsJoseph wrote: "So, I just read that quote to hubby. When I got to the end of the first sentence he was rolling his eyes...

Then I told him that I'd only read 1 sentence.

You should have seen his face."

Reenact it and this time take a picture. :D