Justwinter's Reviews > Agnes Grey

Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë

Apr 14, 14

bookshelves: own, fiction

Of all the Brontës, I think Anne is my favorite writer. At least, I thought that as a teenager when I was ripping through all the Brontë stuff I could sink my teeth into.

Anne Brontë's characters are a little more...I don't know if jaded is the right word, but a little more sharp and edgy than Charlotte's and way more down to earth than Emily's. Her writing is far less romantic/Gothic than either of her sisters. It has a more critical tone, more modern in character. I think she was probably the most level-headed of the bunch.

Throughout Agnes Grey, there's a subtle, understated humor that other far better educated reviewers have compared to Jane Austen. That's aces in my book right there. Her writing's not as strong as Austen's, but the quick attention to detail and slightly mocking tone is reminiscent.

It's a shame she died at 29. Her writing and character fascinates me the most. I feel she could have been a quite major writer, outshining Charlotte had she been able to continue to produce work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Agnes Grey.