MJ Nicholls's Reviews > Willie Masters’ Lonesome Wife

Willie Masters’ Lonesome Wife by William H. Gass

Dec 11, 11

bookshelves: merkins, dalkey-archive, novellas, art-or-illustrated
Read on December 11, 2011

One of the funniest curios from 60s postmodernism, this typopathic novel has the bitchingest range of stretchy fonts and the craziest kerning of any apparently serious work still in print. An attempt to link “penetrating” a woman’s body to “penetrating” the body of a text, or something like that, it’s more an excuse to splice sexy nude shots of a dusky model with outrageously dated textual effects and high modernist gibberish. All right, William Gass would never accept that explanation, but hey, this was the sexy sixties—surely some of that avant-garde fairydust touched the recent writer of Omensetter’s Luck? Some of the textual effects, thought radical in Alasdair Gray’s Lanark, are used here in a more condensed form in this part dense literary novella, part Playboy special. (And yes, they appear to have airbrushed out the model’s navel on the cover, sexist pigs). A fun oddity for formfreaks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Willie Masters’ Lonesome Wife.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tuck (new)

Tuck i sorta wish his essays were illustrated, sometimes Tests of Time

message 2: by MJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

MJ Nicholls I can't find his essays in Glasgow University library! Shame. They do have The Tunnel though to keep me busy.

message 3: by Tuck (new)

Tuck whoa that sounds good, though gass is NOT for everyone, not even you maybe:
NYRB Logo
The Evil Demiurge
August 22, 1968
William H. Gass
Font Size: A A A

The Temptation to Exist
by E.M. Cioran
Quadrangle Books, 223 pp., $5.00

The neck, Plato tells us in the Timaeus, was fashioned by the Demiurge as a kind of isthmus between the head, which houses the higher soul, and the damper, softer regions given to the appetites and passions. This was done in order to protect the mind from their pollutions. Since then we have had nothing but complaints about the arrangement. That sovereign light, we hear, is a sly beguiler, a false leader, creator of gods and myths, an envious organ of denial, and a professional instrument of deceit. Long have the liver and the lungs, the bowels, heart and privy members, languished out of sight in the ghettos of the body—becoming more resentful, more impoverished, more maligned, and more embittered every age.

A revolution is finally underway: not one merely which will deliver single bodies to them, some minuscule psychologies (that’s happened often enough), or even one which will turn over to these vital but barbaric powers an entire State (that’s also occurred occasionally), but one which will catch the whole declining West in its paws, and incidentally demonstrate the parallel which Plato drew between the condition of the soul and the corresponding health of society. Now, everywhere, in the name of Priapic Power, there is a rising against that absent landlord, Monsieur Teste, and his chief work, our civilization. “Whenever I pronounce the word civilization,” Gauguin cried, “I spit.” And M. Cioran writes: “…everything is virtue that leads us to live against the stream of our civilization, that invites us to compromise and sabotage its progress….”

Yet cliché…and Cioran is, like Pope, a polisher of commonplaces, a recutter of old stones, though he would disapprove of any comparison with so classical a poet…cliché informs us (doesn’t cliché tell us everything we know?) that every revolution is betrayed from the beginning—the ground of its spring is always spongy—and we have good reason to be sorry for this one—good reason. For what ruler has pleaded for his overthrow with greater eloquence and poetry, provided better demonstrations of his own unfitness, or supplied deadlier weapons to his enemies; who has spoken with more bitter poignancy of the ruler’s isolation, the burdens of such office and the emptiness of its outward show, protesting “what have kings, that privates have not too, save ceremony,” and exclaiming against all deeper differences, “if pricked, do I not bleed?”; who has represented more honestly the claims of the viscera to rule, then, than the mind, weary philosopher and king of the necktie tower, who now divides his realm to rally opposition and lead it, howling, against the head? But why? why, except to restore the intellect to greater health, serener power?

The guts give the mind its strength; certainly the isthmus must be crossed, and ditched up after; but we should not, out of bad conscience, as Nietzsche warns us, Oedipus our eyes out, trade scepter for staff, or kingship for a beggar’s tatters. The …

This article is available to Online Edition and Print Premium subscribers only. Please choose from one of the options below to access this article:

message 4: by MJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

MJ Nicholls I heard that when Samuel Beckett read E.M. Cioran's A Short History of Decay, he told him "blimey, that's going a bit far" (or words to that effect). Ha. Thanks for the article, are you a premium subscriber?

message 5: by Tuck (new)

Tuck i thought i was, but damn nyrb sometimes gives me the whole enchilada, and sometimes not. it seems the older the article the less they give me full text. but they are fairly new to the whole full text full digital archive game. it's just a pain in the ass when i really want to read something. i read a funny quote about beckett the other day, about his book um "..." a famous one, where he says "i can't go on. i go on.." or something like that, and the dude quoting him said topor would never write something like that. hah

message 6: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian Paganus I just bought this for the price of a good cocktail. I assumed I had relied on your rating, but at three stars I only have my postmodern libido to blame. The model's navel appears inside, so she hides no secrets from the inquiring mind. I'm sure I'll be able to review this one in under 200 words.

message 7: by MJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

MJ Nicholls You might be able to penetrate Willie Masters' Lonsome Wife deeper than me. Gass himself thinks the project a failure.