Jennifer's Reviews > Redirect: The Surprising New Science of Psychological Change

Redirect by Timothy D. Wilson

Mar 14, 12

bookshelves: psychology
Read in December, 2011

I like the insight in this book and the refreshing approach of story-editing. I think it might be a bit oversimplified - whenever I read books like this, I am always depressed by the fact that so many little things can influence people's behaviors (other than themselves). We bend in the direction of least resistance. I would like to take this idea further and possibly in a completely different direction; in particular, how most initiatives and programs don't work specifically because they focus on outcomes as opposed to process. Wilson discusses how people internalize stories about themselves, and getting them to internalize strong positive stories is the best possible thing we can do - but still we measure success in terms of performance outcomes and make this very apparent. I don't know how to get around this necessity, but I would like to see people learn how to really enjoy themselves, and really enjoy making themselves better people.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redirect.