Mesa 's Reviews > Irises

Irises by Francisco X. Stork

Jan 02, 12

Read from December 30 to 31, 2011

Irises was really good. After the sudden death of their father, Kate and Mary’s life changes significantly. They need money to take care of their mother, and need to find a house for them to move into because they have to evacuate in short amount of time. They struggle to decide what they should do and what decision will benefit them.

Kate, 18, is intelligent and ambition girl with a dream of becoming a doctor. Mary, 16, is a sweet, caring and is extremely passionate about her painting. Mary was my favorite from the two sisters. She was caring, lonely and sweet; it was really easy to relate to her. Kate, one the other hand, wasn’t my favorite character. She was selfish, self-absorbed and the opposite of her sister Mary--at least she was for the most part of the book. But I still didn’t like her. It was only about her; she didn’t think about people around her, she didn’t even care about her own sister let alone her mother who is in vegetative state. Okay, maybe I’m being too harsh about Kate but I just, um … didn’t like her. Mary cares for her mother, aunt and her sister; sometimes she can be in denial about her mom but I can’t blame her. After all, it is her mother.

Throughout the book we can see both Kate and Mary’s change; Kate maturing and Mary growing more mature. The change was realistic and believable. Then again, there are three young men in Kate and Mary’s life: Marcos, Andy and Simon. From all three, I only liked one--Marcos.

The one quality I loved about this book is the dialogue. As you know, I love dialogues and the dialogues in this book were formal, they don’t use slang words.

I really enjoyed this book. The only reason why I gave it 4 stars is because of the ending. It was rushed (and that is a deal breaker for me). I would have liked to know how Mary and Kate dealt with their problem and how their decision affected their relationship. Even though the epilogue helped a little, it just didn’t answer the questions I had at the end.

Overall, Irises is a beautiful book written about two sisters who have to make a decision that will change both of their life. It was fast paced and quick read that any teen and adult will enjoy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Irises.

12/30/2011 page 1