Mimi Smith's Reviews > The Thief

Jul 17, 14

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in February, 2012

4 stars

This was a solid 3-3.5 star book, until the last 20 pages or so, which I liked a lot and kind of surprised me.

So, the book begins with the infamous thief, Gen, at prison. He's there because a while ago, he bragged he could steal anything, even the king's seal. Someone, of course held him on that. So, he, of course stole it, after which he got arrested and tried. Not the magus has a proposition to make. If he travels with them and agrees to steal something, well, he gets to see the sun again. Gen agrees and the little group of the magus, Sophos, Ambiades and Gen takes off on an adventure.

I think the way the happenings and the trip were interwoven with the myths and the stories were nice. It's not the most exciting book I've read, but it's interesting and I was constantly curios about what comes next.

I also loved the world and the politics and Gen. He's awesome AND a thief. Or is it because he's a thief. Doesn't matter, he's a great protagonist and I enjoyed reading about him. The other characters were well drawn as well and I'm really curious about what comes next.

All in all, a good(albeit a bit short) start of the series!

I like this myth of the becoming of the world, it's a bit long, but I really do like it.

"EARTH’S CREATION AND THE BIRTH OF THE GODS

Earth was alone. She had no companion. So she took a piece from the center of herself and made the sun and that was the first god. But in time he left Earth. He promised to always send her light during the day, but at night she was still alone. So she took a piece from the edge of herself and made the moon, and she was the first goddess. After a while the moon too went away from Earth. She promised to send her light to keep Earth company at night, but the moon’s promises are worth nothing, and she sent only part of her light and sometimes forgot entirely. When she forgot, there was no moonlight at all, and the Earth was lonely again.
So she breathed out into the firmament, and she made the Sky. The Sky wrapped himself all around her and was her companion. He promised to stay with her always, and Earth was happy. Earth and the Sky’s first children were the mountain ranges, and Hephestia was the oldest. They had more children who were the great oceans and the middle sea, and their youngest children were the great rivers Seperchia and Skander.
One day the Sky wanted to know what he looked like, so the Earth made a thousand goddesses and spread them all across the world to hold mirrors for the sky, and those are the lakes. The Sky looked at himself in the mirrors. He was blue and white with clouds and sometimes black and spangled with stars, and when the sun set, he was beautiful indeed. He grew vain. He looked at the Earth, who was round and colorless, and he felt superior.
“I am quite beautiful,” he said to Earth, “but you are very dull. The only pretty things about you are your lakes.” And he spent all his time looking into the water and would not speak to Earth. So Earth swept up the dust from the mountains and made snow and the dust from the valleys and made dark black soil, and in the soil she scattered the seeds for forests and flowers and covered herself with green trees and bright colors and told the Sky that she was as beautiful as he. But he had eyes only for the lakes, who reflected his own glory. They bore him children, who were the smaller rivers and streams. Earth was jealous and made trees grow up around each of the lakes, hiding them from the Sky’s view.
The Sky was angry. He took up some of the black soil from Earth’s valleys and some of the snow from her mountains, and he mixed them together and blew hard and scattered them across the world. Every speck of dust grew into a human, some dark like the valley soil and some white as the snow. So, though we come from the Earth, we must thank the Sky for our creation, because it was the Sky that made man. But he was impatient and did not do such a job as the Earth would have done. Man came out small and weak and without the gifts of the gods. When the Sky sent men to clear the forest around the lakes, that he might see them, they were too weak to pull down the trees.
Earth looked at them climbing through her forests and said, “Why have you made these?”
And the Sky was ashamed, and he told her that he wanted to see the lakes, and the Earth was ashamed and said that she wanted the Sky to speak only to her. The Sky promised that he would look at the lakes only sometimes, and the Earth promised to hide only some of the lakes in the trees. And they were happy.
But Earth watched the humans that the Sky had made and felt sorry for them. They were cold and hungry. So she gave them fire to make them warm, and she gave them seeds to scatter on the ground. She made animals for them to eat, but no matter what gifts she gave them the humans were ungrateful. They thanked only the Sky for having made them. The Earth grew angry and she shook with her anger, and the houses that the humans had built fell down and the animals that they had gathered were frightened and ran away, and the humans realized that they had made a terrible mistake. From then on there were always some humans who thanked the Earth for her gifts and some humans who thanked the Sky for their creation."
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.

message 1: by Lady Jaye (new)

Lady Jaye I'm glad you liked this one. Gen is a Gem, lol. But i like his cousins better, I think. Especially Eddis..

Mimi Smith Lady Jaye wrote: "I'm glad you liked this one. Gen is a Gem, lol. But i like his cousins better, I think. Especially Eddis.."

I don't know her very well, yet. I don't know why, but I really, really like Gen and I just started #2 and my heart is breaking for him... So you liked the series?

message 3: by Lady Jaye (new)

Lady Jaye Yes. It's really good writing and intrigue.

message 4: by Lady Jaye (new)

Lady Jaye You'll love the 2nd and 3rd. The Queen's Thief and King of Attolia was when I really fell in love with gen. His genius is remarkable :D

Mimi Smith Lady Jaye wrote: "Yes. It's really good writing and intrigue."

Agreed!

Mimi Smith Lady Jaye wrote: "You'll love the 2nd and 3rd. The Queen's Thief and King of Attolia was when I really fell in love with gen. His genius is remarkable :D"

Yep, I think I'll like these more. And I've been told the series gets better. Plus romance is introduced, I think... For me it's not a must, but it's a plus:D

message 7: by Lady Jaye (new)

Lady Jaye Eh. romance schmomance. The romance really was extraneous. You could take it out and everything will b the same. but you won't be thinking about that because the intrigue is so awesome.

Mimi Smith Lady Jaye wrote: "Eh. romance schmomance. The romance really was extraneous. You could take it out and everything will b the same. but you won't be thinking about that because the intrigue is so awesome."

Hah, good to now! I used to be a huge fantasy fan. Still am, I guess, but I don't read it as much as I used to. So now, I'm trying to get back and read more of it. And I think this book is just what I've been looking for.