Marti's Reviews > Mornings on Horseback

Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough

F 50x66
Dec 11, 11

Read in December, 2011

I cannot recall if I have read anything else by David McCullough. This is our book group's January selection--getting it read before the holidays. The title refers to just a short period in the family's history. I found the writing to be somewhat uneven--very interesting in some places, andd rather plodding in others. It takes the author about half a dozen pages or so to cover how Teddie suffered from asthma, to the result that I was finding it hard to breathe myself. I was once diagnosed with asthma--incorrectly it seems. The content was excellent--reading about the family, and how they interacted. Both Teddie andd his father, and certainly Elliott, the alcoholic, died at relatively young ages. Somehow, little Alice, his daughter by his first wife, gets lost at the end. Perhaps Mr. McCullough goes on to examine the later years--this book just seems to end abruptly. To be picky--he had several sentences ending in prepositions. Nonetheless, I did enjoy reading this. My husband was surprised how long it took me to get through it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mornings on Horseback.