Erin's Reviews > Doctor Zhivago

Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak

Jun 01, 10

bookshelves: fiction-lit, russian-lit, foreign-lands, love-story, war, 1001-books
Recommended to Erin by: self
Read in September, 2008

** spoiler alert ** Interseting...but strange to read. This book came across as very random and unbelievable to me. The characters all are connected in a mysterious way, and I wonder what purpose this serves. The book would have been just as good, if not better, if some of the relationships between the characters had not been this way. Also, the love between Lara and Yuri is not "real" enough because Pasternak does not give details about its development. In fact, if I had not seen the movie, I don't think I would have guessed from Lara and Yuri's first interactions that they would ever fall in love.

Also, I felt like Pasternak went on too long about the war, which is something I found boring. Perhaps that was the actual point of the book, though... Maybe that's why I did not like it as much as I expected. I wanted and was expecting more romance!

Finally, I did not like Dr. Zhivago as a character. I found him annoying. What was the man thinking by allowing his family to be deported to another country while he is having an affair with someone who I cannot understand his love for? What was he thinking when he allowed this woman to be taken away from him without joining her? Toward the end of the book, he "falls in love" with yet a third woman, his love for whom I also fail to "buy."
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doctor Zhivago.