Christina's Reviews > John Dies at the End

John Dies at the End by David Wong

Dec 11, 11

bookshelves: fiction, horror, sci-fi, unfinished
Recommended to Christina by: Android's Dream
Read from November 24 to December 11, 2011, read count: 0.5

The sci-fi/horror/fantasy book club I'm in chose to read and talk about this book for December. So I've been struggling to read it.

It's not that I find the book particularly challenging in any way. It's just not my thing. I just don't like it.

David Wong is both a pseudonym for the author and a fictional character in this story about some guys who take a bad drug - soy sauce - at a post-concert party. John is David's friend. The drug opens up doorways in the space-time, heaven-hell-earth continua. And suddenly David, John and David's girlfriend Jennifer Lopez find themselves fighting monsters made entirely of maggots and cockroaches, monsters with scorpion bodies and baby hands that like to eat hamburgers and drink Dr. Pepper, flying demon-possessed dogs and all sorts of other strange creatures. Wanna guess what David and John's greatest weapon against these demons from hell could be? A boombox that plays 80s power ballads. Or at least David thinks that's what's happening. At the point where I'm giving up, it's still unclear whether this stuff actually happens to these characters or it's all a bad acid trip.

The book jumps back and forth through time and place. I can't help but get the sense that the author is trying very hard to be different and funny. And I feel like he fails just by letting me see him try. It should appear effortless and natural.

I know there are people who like this book. And I'm sure there will be more - more guys who just like weird shit or want a story that doesn't follow standard story-telling conventions. I'm sure my younger brothers will love this book.

But it's not my thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read John Dies at the End.