Kei's Reviews > Two Treatises of Government

Two Treatises of Government by John Locke

Aug 23, 12

Read from February 21 to August 22, 2012

The edition itself is OK, featuring informative introduction, annotations and rich appendices consists of suggested readings, bibliography and index.

As for the contents of the main body of the book, by John Locke, though I know that I am not in a position to criticise such a classic endorsed by countless academicians, I regret to confess that I could not enjoy reading these Treatises for following reasons:

1) Though I understand the main purpose for the author to have written it, the First Treatise is too long for establishing a refutation. In addition, in my opinion, the way he uses quotes from the Bible is less convincing nor skilful than Thomas Hobbes's Leviathan.

2) The Second Treatise is less organised in its structure and is unfriendly to the readers for mingling general political thoughts and ideas from Locke the thinker and blurred examples and ideas taken from Locke the politician in his real life.

3) Too much weigh on the notion of 'property' makes difficult for modern readers to agree with the author, especially in times where the so-called 99% are made to suffer from problems caused by greedy bankers and those who can afford to care about their own properties, which used to guarantee them the franchise and dominion of the politics exclusively, up to the early twentieth century.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Treatises of Government.

03/12/2012 page 68