Josie's Reviews > Sweetly

Sweetly by Jackson Pearce

Dec 11, 11

bookshelves: fairytales, young-adult
Read in December, 2011

Okay, I get that this is a companion novel to Sisters Red, but I wasn't actually expecting (view spoiler).

Still, I liked Gretchen better than Scarlett and Rosie from Sisters Red. She seemed more well-rounded, and I admired her bravery and determination to do something to protect herself after feeling scared for most of her life. She was kind of dense, though. I mean, every year Sophia throws a chocolate festival, and every year girls vanish the day after it? And Gretchen doesn't realise that (view spoiler).

Jackson Pearce admits that she had difficulty writing this book, and it shows. The world-building starts off great, but then it degenerates into endless description of Sophia making chocolates (and I'd like to know who for, exactly, as she makes hundreds of them, and only one or two people ever come to the chocolatier during the course of the book). The plot is kind of thin on the ground, with everything happening in the last 50 or so pages. Don't get me wrong, that last chunk is paced well and it's a good ending, but it doesn't really make up for the weakness of the rest of the book.

But, you know, I reckon I'll still read Fathomless when it comes out. I really liked Jackson Pearce's original outlines for the retold fairytales when she posted them back on her blog in 2008 (when Fathomless was called Sea Green, and Whiter was going to be the other book in the trilogy), so I'm sticking with them for that reason. But I admit I'm not keen on where Fathomless looks like it's headed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweetly.