Jolanta25's Reviews > The White Masai

The White Masai by Corinne Hofmann

Dec 12, 11

Read from December 11 to 12, 2011

This book is often described as an ultimate love story between a White woman and her Masai. As a love story it had very little to offer, but what I found most fascinating about it, is its Cultural context.

It was one of the most engaging anthropological journals I've ever read. From the very first page I just couldn't put it down. It described in details the everyday life of Samburu people occupying the dry lands of Kenya; their odd beliefs, daily struggles for food and water as well as the significant role Priests and European doctors play in their lives.

Reading this book made me want to donate money straight away and arrange to volunteer in Africa to help them survive 1 extra day. I also have a new-found respect for people who've spent their lives raising awareness of the African poverty. Their poverty is REALLY shocking!

All in all, it was an amazing book that made me experience the whole spectrum of emotions from deep sadness to joy. Ive read it in just over a day and have already ordered the second book by the author!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Masai.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alex Clarke You may find the second book disappointing.