jenjn79's Reviews > A Virgin River Christmas

A Virgin River Christmas by Robyn Carr

Oct 30, 08

bookshelves: info-full, reviewed, genre-romance-drama, author-robyn-carr, 2008, z2008-july-dec, series-virgin-river, stars-4
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
Read in October, 2008

I have to admit I had an initial smidge of disappointment when I realized this book didn't feature existing Virgin River characters, but introduced two new ones. But I quickly got over it because the new characters were interesting, and the old ones had big enough supporting roles to make you feel the connection to the previous books.

Like the other books, this one has a slight military theme in the characters. Marcie Sullivan was widowed a year ago when her Marine husband Bobby died three years after sustaining devastating injuries in Iraq. Since then, she's felt stuck in a rut, unable to go forward, and obviously unable to go back. And she can't stop thinking that if she could find Bobby's best friend and superior, Ian Buchanan, and settle some things with him, that maybe she'd finally find her way. She'd only ever met him a few times, but she'd come to know him through the letters they'd exchanged and from what Bobby had told her about him. But then Ian had disappeared after he left the Marines not long after Bobby's injury, and Marcie knows he must be hiding from the emotional scars he's suffered. She thinks if she can just find him and talk to him, help him move on, then she would be able to as well. But things don't go quite a planned when she finally does manage to locate him near the quaint mountain town of Virgin River.

True, this is a romance, but honestly, it doesn't come into play until fairly late in the book. A lot of this story is about the characters and their emotional dramas. There were a couple scenes that brought tears to my eyes - especially the one where Marcie flashes back to Bobby's death. I had to go dig up some tissues. That was so sad.

But even though the romance is late in developing, this was an enjoyable book to read (for romance readers). The characters are fantastic. I liked Marcie - though I wished she'd learned to stand up to her sister a little better. And Ian was rather interesting, with his wild, mountain-man look, but gentle and kind heart, and an amazing singing voice. He's such a contradiction. And though they didn't hook up till late, you could feel the connection between Ian and Marcie from the start. They just had to work their way to the right point.

I also really enjoyed how the characters from past Virgin River books had more than just passing roles. Jack and Mel had a fairly active part of the story, and Preacher, Paige, Mike and Bree all had varying smaller roles. It was great to catch up with all those characters.

I had only one or two quibbles with things. I wished the ending had been a little more settled, maybe an epilogue to give us some idea how things went with Ian's reentry into the normal world. Hopefully Carr with update us on them in the upcoming new set of VC books. The only other thing that bothered me was that once Marcie and Ian did hook up, they were together a lot, but there was never once a mention of birth control. It just annoyed me a little bit to have something that important ignored.

Anyway, A Virgin River Christmas is a nice edition to the Virgin River series. It's a great people story with just enough romance to satisfy those of us who like our HEA's. And after read the sneak peak of Second Chance Pass, the upcoming VC novel, I can't wait to read it!
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Virgin River Christmas.

10/28/2008 page 100
35.09% "Liking this one so far - the story and characters are a bit odd, but hey, so am I ;)"
10/28/2008 page 207
72.63% "I need to find me some tissues..."
10/29/2008 page 285
100.0% "Other than wishing for an ending that was a little more settled, I enjoyed this one! Full review to come soon!"

message 1: by Kathrynn (last edited Oct 30, 2008 03:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathrynn I'm not reading this review until I finish the book. ;-)

I'm not. I'm not. I'm not.

Ugh! So hard. I'm logging off now.

jenjn79 LOL...better hurry up and finish so you won't be tempted to be spoiled! ;)