Angela Oliver's Reviews > Blood in the Skies

Blood in the Skies by G.D. Falksen

Dec 18, 11

bookshelves: history, steampunk
Read in December, 2011

This did not feel particularly steampunk - despite the airships and the mention of aether - possibly because my previous dabblings in this "genre" have been novels such as Scott Westerfields "Leviathon" or Philip Reeve's "Mortal Engines" quartet. It felt more like historic fiction, maybe cica World War I. Still, I did feel it built up a solid background to the world - and one in which I would be keen to learn more. It did have a dramatic fighting climax, but did not complete the plot - merely to hint at what else is to come. Oh, there are so many loose ends, that one cannot help but want to read the next instalment just to find out how they tie in. What was the deal with the ghosts and the zombies, for example? What information did the card contain?

In terms of structure = very well written - good grammar, no editting hiccups, smooth to read and only a couple of stray typos. The story flowed well, and was reasonably paced with decent character development - although perhaps could have been fleshed out a wee bit more. Whilst it did not quite have the "awesomeness" factor, it was an enjoyable read and certainly a strong footing into the series.

This is the story about Steele, a feisty female pilot and her charming "sidekick" Ray, a spy/catographer. After chancing upon a mystyerious - and much wanted item, they accidentally uncover a plot that could threaten their Commonwealth. They are then forced to form an unlikely alliance in order to protect the greater good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood in the Skies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mark . Some thing that needs to be pointed out via a fan of Wildside press publishing, This book is not self published its from wildside press, thats the press that owned Prime books a few years ago, Has Juno press and has like 7 other imprints. They have won hugo awards for Weird Tales. I am a huge fan of Weird Tales and a lot of the books they have put out over the years. This is not some self published bit of fluff this book came from a great publisher I wish more people knew about.

Angela Oliver Mark wrote: "Some thing that needs to be pointed out via a fan of Wildside press publishing, This book is not self published its from wildside press, thats the press that owned Prime books a few years ago, Has ..."

Sorry, my mistake, shall change that now.